Weird Safestrap Experience

Reaction score
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I recently flashed a ROM on my Razr for the first time using Safestrap. I took the precaution of making a backup beforehand, DUH. Well the ROM wasn't what I was looking for so I decided to restore. I went back into Safestrap, disabled safe system, and proceeded to restore like I had done several times on my D2 using Bootstrap. It began to check the MD5 sums like normal, then it started to restore "Systemorig". Everything was ok until I got "error restoring Systemorig. I thought ok bad backup, so I started to restore a second backup and got the same thing. Rebooted my phone, went back into Recovery, and tried again with the same result. I rebooted once more to let my phone charge while i decided what to do next and got my stock boot animation. I was back into stock rooted ROM. Now I am paranoid cause who knows if next time I get an error like that if I will be so lucky. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks in advance.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I recently flashed a ROM on my Razr for the first time using Safestrap. I took the precaution of making a backup beforehand, DUH. Well the ROM wasn't what I was looking for so I decided to restore. I went back into Safestrap, disabled safe system, and proceeded to restore like I had done several times on my D2 using Bootstrap. It began to check the MD5 sums like normal, then it started to restore "Systemorig". Everything was ok until I got "error restoring Systemorig. I thought ok bad backup, so I started to restore a second backup and got the same thing. Rebooted my phone, went back into Recovery, and tried again with the same result. I rebooted once more to let my phone charge while i decided what to do next and got my stock boot animation. I was back into stock rooted ROM. Now I am paranoid cause who knows if next time I get an error like that if I will be so lucky. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks in advance.
I am not a Safestrap user, I've always used RSD or Bootstrap so I may not be of much help. However, the first question I would ask is did you wipe cache/delvak and system before flashing the backup?

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
You know I always had before when restoring my D2. Always, everytime. I was preparing to use the Razr Utility. Hadn't ever used it yet though so was dreading it. This time I didn't cause I saw the process on DroidRazrroot.com and Zedomax didn't. Stick with what you know works huh? I was actually gonna PM this question to you cause you have answered questions for me before.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
What version of Bootstrap do you use? I know i cannot use both. I have more experience with it.
If you are still stock running .173 or the latest .181 just google Razr Bootstrap and it will take to a link to download RazrBootstrap v 2.0...thats the one you want. You're right, you don't want Safestrap and Bootstrap on your phone at the same time...diffen not recommended. Matt utility is a great tool. Simple to use. You can get Bootstrap (or safestrap) with that utility also.

Different subject: My wife is from Lexington, KY and a UK grad. My oldest son is a UK grad and WE ALL ARE UK FANS...Go Cats.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
That's awesome. Small world. My wife and I are both originally from TN. We moved up here cause of her work. I have a new found respect for the Cats since I moved here and was stoked when they won the national title. I will root for the Cats unless they are playing the Vols. My 5 month old who was born here will be exposed to the big blue and the big orange.

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Quick question about the DROID Razr Utility, before I use any of the functions do I always put my phone in AP Fastboot before? Gonna use it to go to .181, do I put in Fastboot to do so?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Quick question about the DROID Razr Utility, before I use any of the functions do I always put my phone in AP Fastboot before? Gonna use it to go to .181, do I put in Fastboot to do so?

Fastboot mode is correct to restore to .181, but not needed for other functions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
OK, just so I am 100% clear, AP Fastboot and then run the restore utility? And that Fastboot restore is similar to SBF? I use that comparison because I am more familiar to SBF. By the way I grew up watching Get Smart. In the 90's on Nick at Nite. The Cone of Silence... too bad we can't wear our phones on our feet. Would save space in our pockets. Phones are getting big nowadays. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, just so I am 100% clear, AP Fastboot and then run the restore utility? And that Fastboot restore is similar to SBF? I use that comparison because I am more familiar to SBF. By the way I grew up watching Get Smart. In the 90's on Nick at Nite. The Cone of Silence... too bad we can't wear our phones on our feet. Would save space in our pockets. Phones are getting big nowadays. :)

Yes, you're correct about Fastboot being like SBF. Also, you're right about Fastboot mode then running the utility to do the restore.

I loved Get Smart as well. The best part about the Cone of Silence is when others in the room would shout what Max was saying to the Chief because he couldn't hear under the cone. Comedy at its simplest and purest. No need for extreme violence, no foul language, no real intense stunts...just real acting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
jpcalhoun said:
If you are still stock running .173 or the latest .181 just google Razr Bootstrap and it will take to a link to download RazrBootstrap v 2.0...thats the one you want. You're right, you don't want Safestrap and Bootstrap on your phone at the same time...diffen not recommended. Matt utility is a great tool. Simple to use. You can get Bootstrap (or safestrap) with that utility also.

Different subject: My wife is from Lexington, KY and a UK grad. My oldest son is a UK grad and WE ALL ARE UK FANS...Go Cats.

If i wanted to switch is it a simple uninstall of safestrap? Or do I need to do something else if i wanted bootstrap instead?

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
To uninstall safestrap just hit uninstall from within the app. I would reboot the phone once just to make sure the splash screen is gone. If it is, then you are golden.