Weird Mini-USB end to Micro USB headache

Xander Crews

Reaction score
So I recently switched from T-Mobile and my Android G1 to Verizon and got a Droid2...which I love. Awesome phone.

Verizon uses micro usb and my G1 used mini-usb, so I bought some converter ends online so I didn't have to buy a handful of new cables from Verizon at inflated prices. (I have a cable at work and a few at home)

My old G1 data mini-usb cable that came with my G1 is different than any other mini-usb I've found.
I attached a pic of it.

The converter end I bought fits my other mini usb cables, but it doesn't fit this mini-usb cable.

Does anyone know what in the hell this type of end is called and if there is a converter out there to convert it to micro usb?

Thanks guys.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It looks like a proprietary USB-type connection. It's not like any standard USB Mini I've ever seen.

Honestly, just return whatever you bought and grab a few new chargers.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Well, I won't return what I bought since I can use them on my other mini usb cables that don't have this stupid end.
I was mostly just curious as to what this end was.
It fits my G1 phone, and other standard mini usb cables fit the G1 as well...but the G1 cable doesn't fit standard mini usb ports.

I figured if I could get a converter end for a couple bucks, I'd do so instead of having the cable go to waste...or I could just sell it with my G1...which will probably happen.

dro

Reaction score
"EXT USB is a connector type that is specific to HTC Devices and features a powered USB and Headset connections in a single combined connector. This new type of connector lets you charge, sync and use audio devices all through the same port (though not necessarily at the same time).

The EXT USB port is backwards compatible with Mini USB which means that you can use older Mini USB accessories with newer EXT USB handsets, but you not the other way round."

HTC Chargers – Mini USB or EXT-USB | Mobile Fun Blog

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon uses micro usb
Specific phones might but I doubt that all of Verizon's phones are micro USB.

I bought some converter ends online so I didn't have to buy a handful of new cables from Verizon at inflated prices.
I don't think I've ever purchased any accessories from Verizon. You don't have to buy from them. There are other suppliers you can use. Monoprice is quite popular if you're looking for an online source.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon uses micro usb
Specific phones might but I doubt that all of Verizon's phones are micro USB.

I bought some converter ends online so I didn't have to buy a handful of new cables from Verizon at inflated prices.
I don't think I've ever purchased any accessories from Verizon. You don't have to buy from them. There are other suppliers you can use. Monoprice is quite popular if you're looking for an online source.

Verizon's making a push for universality in their chargers -- every phone I've seen in the last 8 months come from Verizon was micro-USB or micro-USB compabile (DINC).