micro USB cable recommendations

makaiguy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sammy Galaxy S7 on Verizon
With a couple of Samsung S3s, and Acer tablet, and an old Sansa m3 player all using micro USB cable connections, I've gone through quite a few cables. It seems the quality of the micro end connectors varies quite a bit. After a bit of use, some seem to wear out, in that when inserted in the device, the connection gets loose and has to be jiggled around a bit to make a good connection. This makes charging somewhat of a crap shoot in that you're never sure whether there's a good connection in place.

Sensitivity to this seems to vary with the device, with the Acer tablet being the most sensitive to it, the S3s next, and the mp3 player nearly immune to it.

I've bought, worn out, and discarded a number of cables over the last several years. The best cables I've found so far are Samsung-branded ones that look like this:
41lWz3PdpcL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

.. picked up as a pack of three from one of those daily deal sites. They really fit snugly, and at least so far, have continued to do so, even in the Acer tablet. They're only 3 feet in length, though, and I'd like to have some 6-footers or so around the house.

Does anybody have any recommendations for cables with GOOD micro USB connectors that STAY good for more than a few months?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You could try an old Note cable. From what I recall, they were longer than 3'.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah, the MicroUSB cable and connector are still not perfect. Not only do the connectors get loose, but the cable where it enters the plug at the strain relief tends to either break connection there or pull one or more conductors out of the plug. The Apple connector is definitely a nice step up being that it's unidirectional and all the pressure is on the jack, none on the plug. Still the strain relief is an issue.

But I believe cables are going away soon too. Wireless is the future for all forms of communication whether it be data, audio, video, and even power since wireless charging is now commonplace, so there is really no need for a cable connection. I predict the first phone without a connector of any kind to be within the next 5 years, possibly sooner. It may be totally wireless, or may be a hybrid with contact points on the body and a docking station but I think cables, especially USB is reaching the end of life.

I can't stand the cable, especially when sitting up in bed and texting or surfing, since it's like a chain or tether that gets in the way. And how many times have you gotten up to go some where only to have the phone yanked out of your hands due to the cord being connected? Or how about when you trip over the cord and pull the phone off the table? ARGH!! :p

OP
makaiguy

makaiguy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sammy Galaxy S7 on Verizon
Yeah, the MicroUSB cable and connector are still not perfect. ... ARGH!! :p
Agree completely. But in the meanwhile, we're stuck with them, and I'll have to continue replacing ones that wear out.

Recommendations, anyone?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
@makaiguy those are good cables. I have a couple myself.