Weird Battery Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamKanteres

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old D1. Twice in last week my battery has gone to 5% in the middle of the day for no reason, when it should've been more like 50%+. Nothing unusual is running (that I can tell).

Battery usage says OS was 34% since last plug in. Usually Screen Display is worth around 50%, and OS is single digits.

Lastly, when I plugged in today the phone immediately showed 60% charged. I unplugged, and battery level was good (60%ish) after being plugged in just a minute. I also tried restarted phone before I plugged in, but that didn't change the battery level, still in the red.

Any thoughts?

Thx,
Will

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old D1. Twice in last week my battery has gone to 5% in the middle of the day for no reason, when it should've been more like 50%+. Nothing unusual is running (that I can tell).

Battery usage says OS was 34% since last plug in. Usually Screen Display is worth around 50%, and OS is single digits.

Lastly, when I plugged in today the phone immediately showed 60% charged. I unplugged, and battery level was good (60%ish) after being plugged in just a minute. I also tried restarted phone before I plugged in, but that didn't change the battery level, still in the red.

Any thoughts?

Thx,
Will

Have you ever used the phone for anything while it was charging?

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Why would that matter?

well for starters his phone is a year old. If he has done that then most likely his battery is at the end of its life cycle.

BTW your calibration suggestion is a horrible idea. You don't really ever want to drain a lithium-ion battery down completely expecially multiple times. If you drain one of your cells below 2.5V you will render your battery useless and it may not charge at all or it could do what is being described above.

Last edited:

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course he's used it while charging. Doesn't destroy it. OP, flash an sbf & wipe your battery stats.... or buy a new battery, they're only what $5?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
@Ag3nt X Have you wiped your battery? Because I have. Well over 50 times & it's fine. Lithium ions don't have memory & their cut off voltage is controlled by the kernel. I know what you're saying about 2.5 being deadly but It still has plenty of charge when it forces the power off mine dies around 3200mv..... I wouldn't call that dead.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Of course he's used it while charging. Doesn't destroy it. OP, flash an sbf & wipe your battery stats.... or buy a new battery, they're only what $5?

LOL whiping stats is not going to repair a damaged cell. the stats file is simply a record of the usage and has no effect upon the durabliity of the battery.

And yes that will infact reduce the lifetime of your battery.

I take it that many of you are unaware of what happens when you charge a Lithium Ion battery. The charge induces a voltage in reverse polatiry of what the discharge is this process causes the battery to heat up and heat is the number 1 enemy to battery life.

If you do this on a few occasions no big deal but if you do it frequently it is going to reduce the life of your battery....

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
@Ag3nt X Have you wiped your battery? Because I have. Well over 50 times & it's fine. Lithium ions don't have memory & their cut off voltage is controlled by the kernel. I know what you're saying about 2.5 being deadly but It still has plenty of charge when it forces the power off mine dies around 3200mv..... I wouldn't call that dead.

You are aware that Lithium Ion batteries do not have the memory effect aren't you?

Overdischarging will cause premature death of your battery.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
This issue has been discussed in a number of other threads. Therefore, I am closing this thread.

Mike

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Any thoughts?

Thx,
Will
Your phone may need to relearn the battery charge states. A power cycle will do this without any problems. Let the battery completely run down so the phone powers off and then charge it back up on the wall charger for at least an hour, preferably two so things can stabilize.

This is totally for the phone's benefit as the batter has no real memory effect.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I lawlz at you. You are right its just a record.... that gets screwed up with flashing rims & short charging. Sometimes it needs to be rewritten. If the points on it are not correct it doesn't matter what the battery's physical status is. You know a lot about batteries so next time your phone is at 5% look at what your voltage is. Nowhere near 2.5v.

Status
Not open for further replies.