Sudden battery drop off?

Al Neri

Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced a sudden shortage of battery life? Not sure what happened but I used to have my battery last all day long and now my battery is lasting a lot less. For example I charged it fully and then unplugged it and went to sleep. Without using it at all when I woke up 7 hours later it was already down to 60%. I sent a few texts-no internet usage or phone calls and within 2 hours it was down to 40%.

It says the battery is still good-I have only had my phone for about 2 months. Anybody have any ideas?

I am running open home and I just got the 2.1 update Saturday.

Palmyra

Reaction score
FWIW, since the upgrade I've noticed that my GPS has been coming on a lot more than before. This may be due to the boat load of app upgrades over the past weak or so which I assume are happening to make them compatible with 2.1. Some may need to be re synced?????

Reaction score
Are you using the power control widget? Turn gps off at night imo. Also try getting juice defender, it'll prevent all your apps and widgets from updating all night when you really don't have to. Why did you unplug it before going to bed? It is safe to leave it on the charger all night even if its full :)

Also: Are you rooted

OP
Al Neri

Al Neri

Reaction score
No it is stock. I unplugged it as a test cause I was not sure if my battery life really had dropped off that badly. Yesterday it sat all day while I was at work and by the time I got off work it was in desperation mode (demanding to be plugged in). I have gps turned off.

Does gps turn back on all on it's own sometimes?

Hermes

Reaction score
I've noticed this sudden battery life drop off as well. I never turn on the GPS or WIFI and have very few apps. Seems like it dropped off since I installed 2.1 OTA the other day.:confused:

OP
Al Neri

Al Neri

Reaction score
That is werd cause I have read that quite a few people have better battery life. I am running very few apps. I have open home, lock 2.0, and a weather widget. I never use wi-fi or gps which I understand are horrible battery hogs.

10yck

Reaction score
I have also noticed a dramatic drop in battery life since the update to 2.1. on Sat. I did my own test as well with GPS and WI-FI shut off. It dropped 20% on it's own over the coarse of 3 hours of just sitting there at my desk. I also noticed that I have to use Advanced App Killer many more times a day just to preserve battery life. Apps are opening more frequently even when the phone is just sitting. Any ideas on this issue?

mikenilson

Reaction score
Me too. My battery is at 40%. I took it off the charger 100% full at 6:30 am. I have only made a few calls and some lite usage. I turned Apollo Task killer off today to see if that would help, but my battery is draining faster than yesterday without it. Yes I am using a live wallpaper & Helix, WiFi has been off all day. After it was off the charger for 1.5 hours this morning it dropped to 90% just being in my pocket.

c0Ld

Reaction score
No it is stock. I unplugged it as a test cause I was not sure if my battery life really had dropped off that badly. Yesterday it sat all day while I was at work and by the time I got off work it was in desperation mode (demanding to be plugged in). I have gps turned off.

Does gps turn back on all on it's own sometimes?

My life's been fine using 2.1 rooted via bb .9, but I guess that's not even the same build...
GPS should stay off if you disable it via the power widget or settings. I don't think most apps would force it back on, only calling 911 should do that.

OP
Al Neri

Al Neri

Reaction score
Last night I finally had some time to thoroughly go through the phone. I found that my wi fi was turned on (I don't recall turning it on as I don't even really know wtf wifi is).

I downloaded juice defender anyway. I unplugged my phone at 2100 and when I got up at 0500 it was still at 100%.

vico512

Reaction score
While I'm not sure it's related, I also had a big draw-down yesterday evening. I found my battery at 20%. The Droid info showed my biggest usage was Google Maps, but I hadn't been using that app for a few days. The Droid updated to 2.1 earlier in the week, but this was the first time it pulled this number.

Toady, it is showing no usage for Google Maps.

-vic