Weighing in on DroidX

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Well, after spending a whole day with one, I've come to a few conclusions.

First of all, anyone who thinks its laggy or slow needs to do one of two things. Either stop passing judgment based on a display model, or use a home replacement. :p

I did a few speed tests with a rooted droid1 at 1Ghz VS. the X. Seriously, it dogs the Droid1. Well, thats an over statement. They are comparable, but the X still wins out. Its quicker at switching from App to App; it's quicker at loading an App; and its quicker at running processes like populating the gallery. I think its a safe assumption to make that once this phone gets JIT with 2.2, it'll be one of the top two maybe three phones out there in terms of sheer speed...if not the fastest of the lot. I would really like to see some side by side comparisons with an IPhone4 :D youtube, here I come.

It's big, I mean really big lol. I've been playing with an Evo for about a week or so now, and honestly, I've gotten accustomed to the ginormous screens their putting on these things. Get this though, its thin..so to be honest, it doesn't feel like your carrying a brick in your shorts like you would think it would. It doesn't feel cheap, or weak either; feels rock solid, just like a Droid1. To have such a big beautiful screen, I think I would be willing to make the trade off.

Other than that, its a Droid1. Just as comfy to use for us native droid users, with all the same apps that your used to...of course, save the rooted stuff.

A few things though...

First off, the HDMI out. For the time being, it feels like an after thought. You can only view stuff in your gallery, which makes it seem like it's just something tacked on for the time being. To people who are familiar with the Droid1, you can think of a few things that started out like this (I.E. the stock messenger app). I'm guessing this is something that they left hanging like this to give developers some room to do what they do best. And I hope, I really hope, that there is an app coming down the pike soon that allows you to stream youtube or tv.com to your television. Hey, maybe when Hulu finally gets the rights to mobile videos, maybe even some of that glorious flash some of us have at the moment?

Second, not sure about how I feel about it having eFuse installed. Grrrrr. Its for the most part software, so there are definitely ways around it, but still...do they have to make it harder? Open source OS...check. Make it easy to change what you have made available for change....no check? Hm... Then what the F is the point? I digress. Minor gripe...

Any other gripes or props anyone can think of?

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Google it up my friend, essentially its a technology that allows computer chips (or 'fuses') to reprogram themselves in real time during their cycle. Some people are touting this as a way for Moto/verizon/god whoever to reprogram your phone into a brick if you try to tamper with the OS/Kernel.

That remains to be seen, and as of right now, EFuse is only a "feature" that we have yet to see impemented. If thats what its for, then its still only a matter of time before theres a work around for it. Where there is a will, after all, there is a way.

To me, it could be a mixed bag. Sure, maybe its a security protocol thats hardlined to prevent against rooting, and the subsequent wifi tethering (more on this in a second). But on the flip side, if implemented in the way that it was originally intended, it could lend itself to the speed of the DroidX by "tripping" one of the fuses on a chip, and resetting the data, then rewritting with good info to lighten the load on the processor.

Some people think its there to prevent rooting, to prevent people from being able to tether for free. I spent a lot of time with an X today, so when I saw the Tethering app that came stock with the phone...I just couldn't help but laugh at anyone who thought this. Its ok guys who thought this...I hope I was laughing with you.