Weekend Review 5/10/15: Samsung Tab S2, Milkshake, and Streaming devices

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S2-9.7.jpg

Hopefully we all have had the chance to spend the days with our friends and loved ones. Again to all the mothers out there Happy Mother's Day.

With the Mother's Day Weekend the news have been slow but not dead. @DroidModderX posted articles about root for the S6 and S6 edge so make sure to check out his thread if you are wanting to root.

With leaked images of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 making its way around the web, I have to ask are tablets still relevant?
With tablets being nothing but larger phones I have seen few android tablets that have distinguished themselves into being a go to source for consumers. With more windows based computer going touchscreen I find it useless to rely on a tablet with the exception of Samsung's Note tablets. Do you still find tablets useful and are you even slightly interest in another Samsung tablet?

I can imagine that one of the topics of next week will be about what will be in Milkshake. As much as I loathe what Google has done as of late even I have to admit that Lollipop have been a bug fest. I tried to remain in denial but between the random reboots (though rare), battery drain, and various other reported issues I just want Google to clean up the bugs. I feel like the consensus of the community is give us lollipop that works and perform to the level we expected. I am reminded of Jellybean where it was mainly a fix of all the issues with ICS with a boost in performance and the people loved it. All the bells and whistles don't mean a thing if the software fails to perform, so Google please make Milkshake be a fix of all the issues in lollipop.

For cord cutters out there I periodically like to update you all on where we are at and what devices will best help in achieving those goals. I have owned and used the Roku 3, Roku HDMI, Chromecast, Google Nexus Player, and Amazon Fire TV stick over the course of a year. With more content being able to stream I am finding more people are looking to cut the cord including the older generation.
Out of the box I found that the Roku 3 was the best overall device ready to be used for all users for cord cutting. With all the other devices it seemed to not be able to do one thing or another, where the Roku 3 was able to do it all out of the box without having to sideload or Kodi anything. Though I preferred the Nexus Player home screen it just lacked some of the content I was able to get via Fire Tv or Roku. So if you are looking to cut the cord and you want a device that can do it all out of the box then I highly recommend the Roku 3. Amazing how far we have come in a year as I talked about this topic before.

My top streaming devices as of May 2015 (based on performance out of the box without having to root or use Kodi, ease of use and set up, content available):
  1. Roku 3
  2. Chromecast
  3. Fire TV Stick
  4. Nexus Player
  5. Roku HDMI stick

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm not a tablet person. A 5.5" phone works for me. On the other hand, my wife has a iPhone 6+ but she relies on her iPad Mini for the web and playing games.
I would think that most people use a large screen phone and have no need for a tablet. The tablet market is not what it was....

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
+1 on not being a tablet person here either.. happy to see S6 get root hopefully some custom stuff down the road for peeps.. no complaints here with lollipop but I've seen enough discussed around the forums and G+...it seems they are working some things out and maybe should hold up a little.. I agree on Roku #1 spot.. though I have Chromecast that Fire stick might be second from the little previews I've seen..

Tapped by NexusSix

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. My nexus 7 is basically an e-reader to me. A big part of that could be just because I keep it turned off in a drawer and turn it on each night as I get ready for bed to read a bit.

It's much more convenient to surf/etc on my Note 4 that's always on and always with me than to dig the n7 out of the drawer and wait for it to boot up.

As for streaming, I've only got first-hand experience with the Chromecast, though my dad has some version of the Roku. When I was there over Thanksgiving, we were all talking about movies and combing through the ones available on it through Netflix. The UI was still outdated, so I'm assuming it's not the Roku 3. Reminded me of the UI on a lot of DVD players with streaming capabilities.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I just got a Galaxy S 8.4 to replace my 2012 Nexus 7 that became useless with the 5.0.2 update. As I get older (it is still possible!) the eyes like slightly larger devices. I love it so far. I have not had the laptop out of its bag in a year as tablets do for me what the phone did not. Mostly internet, video, games, reading. Biggest pet peeve is things with tiny print that will not allow two finger sizing which is one reason to use a tablet. I use it constantly with Sunday ticket to watch another game or keep up with fantasy.

On another note - the nexus 7 updated to 5.1 shortly after I got the new tablet and now works great again! Updates no longer dominate it. Just what I need to prove I'm impatient :)

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
My top streaming devices as of May 2015 (based on performance out of the box without having to root or use Kodi, ease of use and set up, content available):
  1. Roku 3
  2. Chromecast
  3. Fire TV Stick
  4. Nexus Player
  5. Roku HDMI stick

While I love my Chromecast, I would move it down that list. The thing I love about my Fire TV Stick is that i don't need my phone to use it. I think the Chromecast should support casting, but have standalone capabilities as well. Let me log into my Google account and access my movies, music, etc.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not a tablet person. A 5.5" phone works for me. On the other hand, my wife has a iPhone 6+ but she relies on her iPad Mini for the web and playing games.
I would think that most people use a large screen phone and have no need for a tablet. The tablet market is not what it was....

I think you are in the minority. Lots of things need a bigger screen then 5.5" or 6". Plus not everyone has moved to a monster phone yet. Plus there is the whole talking on your phone and using your tablet thing too. IDK, I think tablet sales will continue because people see their phone as a "mobile" device and tablets are more of a home device.

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon
I agree with lone wolf, as much as I love my tab s it's basically it's a coach surfing device. When on the go I use the note 4 and any heavy lifting I use the desktop or laptop.