Weather Underground Radar

Coltrek

Reaction score
When I first got into smartphones several years ago Weather Radar was my primary motivation. I had to use Weather Underground, as it was the only radar that would rotate in Windows Mobile. NOAA needed Flash. On the Droid X the radar does not rotate on any of them, does anyone have any suggestions?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
When I first got into smartphones several years ago Weather Radar was my primary motivation. I had to use Weather Underground, as it was the only radar that would rotate in Windows Mobile. NOAA needed Flash. On the Droid X the radar does not rotate on any of them, does anyone have any suggestions?

I have both Weather Bug Elite and MyCast Weather and both of them rotate 360. But that may have more to do with the fact that I use SimplyStunning 4.7 and have the full auto rotate option checked. No matter which way I rotate the phone, the screen rotates. But I know that isn't an option for you on the X.
Maybe check all the display settings and see if there is an option. If not, maybe Motorola needs to add that option into an update?

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
When you say rotate are you talking about showing the animated loop of radar images? Radar Now has animated radar, as does Weatherbug Elite.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you mean "animated loop" when you say "rotate".

IIRC, Weather Underground's mobile radar loop is an animated GIF. I can't speak for the Droid X but with the Droid, the stock browser didn't support animated GIF's until Froyo. You might want to try another browser.

Last edited:
OP
C

Coltrek

Reaction score
Yes, Animated Loop. My pal just showed me NOAA looping on his original Droid last nite, But I cannot get it to on my X. Maybe when Flash is appended to these phones. He also has Weatherbug. However, I still like Weather Underground because of the local weatherstations which are invaluable, and I do not have to add yet another app. I have put in a ticket to WeatherUnderground, I will see if they have an answer. And yes, another browser may help, I will look into that if nothing else works.
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rainy Days is an app that will blow you away with it's detail...... it's a free app so nothing to lose if you merely try it out. I had a Win Mobile smartphone before and tried a lot of radar imaging methods, but none have ever shown the detail that RainyDays does...

OP
C

Coltrek

Reaction score
Bingo, takeshi.

((IIRC, Weather Underground's mobile radar loop is an animated GIF. I can't speak for the Droid X but with the Droid, the stock browser didn't support animated GIF's until Froyo. You might want to try another browser.))

Here is the response from Weather Underground - -

<Hello,
Unfortunately the Android's OS is not yet capable of displaying animated gifs. You should probably contact the support team for Android to request this feature in a future update.>

I did try Rainy Days, but it shows clutter as rain, doesn't seem to be able to differentiate well enough.

OP
C

Coltrek

Reaction score
Problem solv-ed. The new update with flash allows NOAA and WeatherUnderground to rotate, all is right in the world.