Weather on home screen

Archerjostle

Reaction score
So in case you dont know what im talking about...the weather status on the home screen of the droid eris htc. Its the one that was on the phone when i bought it...lemme start by saying i LOVE it...however...it dosent seem to be accurate all the time. For instance right now it says Gainesville, Fl Mostly Cloudy with showers and 52 degrees.When in reality its 44 degrees and clear according to my weather channel app. Is there a different weather source i can put on that home screen. Like if im in bed and super tired and im curious what the weather is like i wanna be able to look at the phone and trust it, and yes...i am that lazy...is it just some sort of GPS lag or something, however it gets its source that im gonna need to live with...anyone else had this problem?
Thanks thanks

bllarkin

Reaction score
Check and see how often it is updating (I don't have my wife's Eris right here so I can walk you through it). You can probably force a refresh on it and it would get the correct information (or closer info).

It is probably updating ever hour, so if you need to see for sure what it is like, you should be able to just force the refresh when needed, or set the refresh timing to be shorter (at the cost of a little battery life).

OP
A

Archerjostle

Reaction score
I appreciate it...i so very NOT tech savvy so if you get ahold of her phone and maybe you can walk me through it...this phone is so much smarter then me :/

bllarkin

Reaction score
I can't see a way to set how often it updates, but if you tap on the weather, it should bring up the full screen forecast. In the bottom left is the refresh button. Click on that to force a refresh.

OP
A

Archerjostle

Reaction score
Im seeing the same thing...im kinda bummed but thanks for your help

mhotovec

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the WeatherBug app.

As for the temperatures not agreeing between the phone and the weather channel, that could be something as simple as where they get their data from. For instance one is from the airport, and the other is from downtown. It's not uncommon for two radio stations in a town to not agree on current temperature and forecasts, so I wouldn't worry too much about the phone not agreeing with the weather channel.

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
Overall, I prefer WeatherBug for a comprehensive forecast, but the stock weather widget is fine for checking current local conditions like temperatures. What I don't understand is why the location updates slowly or, as seems to happen a lot lately, the location is totally off. For example, while sitting in the Philadelphia airport last week I was seeing the weather in Frankfurt Germany and nothing I did could get this to change. I live outside of Washington DC and regularly see my location as something many miles away.

oopslolz

Reaction score
If it really bothers you, then turn GPS on and then update the weather, I'd imagine it would give you a more accurate reading. I havent had an issue with it really, except sometimes instead of the town I'm in it will give me a number

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
If it really bothers you, then turn GPS on and then update the weather, I'd imagine it would give you a more accurate reading. I havent had an issue with it really, except sometimes instead of the town I'm in it will give me a number

Not so much that it bothers me as I don't understand why it is incorrect. If cell towers are being used to identify my location, then why does Verizon think that I am in Germany? Yes, the GPS is good if I am using Google Maps, but not worth the battery hit just to check the weather.

mhotovec

Reaction score
Overall, I prefer WeatherBug for a comprehensive forecast, but the stock weather widget is fine for checking current local conditions like temperatures.

I put the WB widget on my home screen for that - primarily because it's so much smaller.