Weather Channel Severe warning alerts

altacool

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to either turn off the severe weather alert notification for the weather channel widget? Or at least be able to change the notification sound itself? (without doing a global change of course)

I've tried searching these forums for an answer to this and also looked at the help information for the weather channel widget but came up with nothing. Also tried to search for settings in the weather widget itself, but no settings except for "units of measurement"

NVash

Reaction score
You get a notification for Severe Weather? I dont get one, as far as I recall. I mean, I get a little pop up in the top bar but thats about it. Then again, my phone doesnt say 'DROID' anymore when it turns on. Just seems to have stopped one day.

OP
A

altacool

Reaction score
Yeah if there is a severe weather alert for my area (who knew there was severe weather in Los Angeles?) when I wake up my phone, i'll get the pop up on the notification bar and an audible sound. This will only happen once for each severe weather alert unless duplicate alerts are sent for the same city or if I go to a different city with a severe weather alert of its own.

My main concern is to just change the notification tone so that I know it has to do with the weather and isn't a text message, but if I can turn it off that would be good too.

mytwilight

Reaction score
Uninstall

I uninstalled and re-installed the app. It's in the Widget settings, but it seems once you set it you have to re-install to get it to go away.

Reaction score
I uninstalled and re-installed the app. It's in the Widget settings, but it seems once you set it you have to re-install to get it to go away.

Good to know that is why I removed it I hated the alert but didnt think to install again to be able to not have the alert.

OP
A

altacool

Reaction score
Thanks that worked. I feel stupid now because I suggested the exact same thing to someone who wanted his widget to only show his home city weather. Didn't think to follow my own advice.

newaerorules

Reaction score
I uninstalled and re-installed the Weather Channel. If I make a widget, will the notification sounds start up again?

OP
A

altacool

Reaction score
When you reinstall the widget, it will give you a list of options. You can either set the the severe weather alert tone to silent or use another tone, or not have it notify you altogether

johnrbrown1968

Reaction score
I like having the Severe Weather alerts, but the damn things popup after few minutes for the same warning. Once is fine ... if something changes in the alert, resend buzz ... but for the same alert to popup after few minutes is annoying as hell ..... I finally just turned the sound off.