WaveSecure

ldimick

Reaction score
Cheewee, has your team looked into sending the messages via emai-to-sms? Most carriers support this and would save you and your users money. You wouldn't have to pay for the outgoing messages and users wouldn't pay for international text.

Verizon users can be reached at [10 digit mobile #]@vtext.com and most other US carriers have something similar.

There are several issues that may arise. I don't know if the codes they send to activate certain features would transfer via email to SMS translation. Second of all what happens with the issue of Google Voice users? Finally, if I steal a cell phone the first thing I would do is change the cell phone number, thus bypassing all security that may be based on a phone number.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cheewee, has your team looked into sending the messages via emai-to-sms? Most carriers support this and would save you and your users money. You wouldn't have to pay for the outgoing messages and users wouldn't pay for international text.

Verizon users can be reached at [10 digit mobile #]@vtext.com and most other US carriers have something similar.

There are several issues that may arise. I don't know if the codes they send to activate certain features would transfer via email to SMS translation. Second of all what happens with the issue of Google Voice users? Finally, if I steal a cell phone the first thing I would do is change the cell phone number, thus bypassing all security that may be based on a phone number.

For GV users, just use your cell number....

If your number is changed on your phone, then SMS control wouldnt work either. You'd be SOL either way, so why not do e-mail too?

cheewee

Reaction score

Hi vatothe0,
Thanks for the suggestion. I consulted with our tech folks and found out that they did evaluate this option before. However, they found that it was not feasible due to reliability concerns and that there were too many unknown. Also, we can't assume that everyone has this option turned on, too.

That said, we are evaluating various options. For the record, our motivation is not to cut costs but to provide a reliable service. I'll inform the community when we have some concrete plans.

Meanwhile, users can access all the features via WaveSecure on the phone and the commands will be sent over data. This way, you will be no international charges.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi all,
We've just released an exciting WaveSecure update on Android Market yesterday that includes better Android 2.x contact sync and also an add-on called WaveSecure Uninstall Protection Add-on (UPA).

WaveSecure Uninstall Protection Add-on (UPA) locks your phone when it detects that WaveSecure is removed. If you uninstall UPA, WaveSecure will lock the phone to secure it too.

The cool thing is that they watch out for each other and is a breeze to install. For users who don't want to root their devices and put WaveSecure in the ROM, this is a easy way to offer more protection.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi all,
We are happy to announce that WaveSecure SMS gateway in the US is now live! This means WaveSecure users in the US will no longer incur international text charges when performing remote commands from our web site.

This took a while because setting up our own server was a little more complicated that anticipated. Also, we ran into a snag when the operators blocked us for sending way too many texts. These issues are now sorted and the gateway is stable.

So give WaveSecure a spin and if there are still kinks to work out, do let us know. We would also like to thank all those who helped with testing the US gateway. You guys rock!

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
Wait I just used it to find a stolen phone and it chearged me for the text I sent to the phone.

Hi Dejuanxg,
All remote commands initiated by users in the US are currently routed via our US SMS gateway. You shouldn't get charged by your carrier/operator for international text messages. Which carrier are you on?

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Thanks for the update chewee, a few cents isn't a big deal in my eyes.

I have been with wave secure since beta and it's my favorite security app!

Keep up the awesome work and thank you for working hard for the community!

cheewee

Reaction score
Yea I just re checke my bill an I was in fact charged $1.60 in total for international text messages.

Hi Dejuanxg,
I believe those are not just from today?

After consulting with our tech folks, we found out that Verizon slipped through the cracks. They have corrected this and Verizon is now included.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
Thanks for the update chewee, a few cents isn't a big deal in my eyes.

I have been with wave secure since beta and it's my favorite security app!

Keep up the awesome work and thank you for working hard for the community!

Thanks nerdbox08!

It's really not me but the team behind WaveSecure. They work really hard to make the service better everyday. Supporting Android, BlackBerry, Symbian and Windows Mobile is no easy feat.

Also, we recently released WaveSecure Backup for Java so non-smartphone users can enjoy data protection too!

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Mungo Baobab

Reaction score
Wave Secure with Froyo

Has anyone tried Wave Secure with the Froyo 2.2 yet? I am also curious regarding the system .apk version that I installed into the system folder of my droid, if I load the froyo rooted rom. Anyone try either of these yet? I would rather not be the first tester to do it.