Wating for sync - Your email will appear soon. (Not.)

funops

Reaction score
The phone flagged that there is a system update so I proceeded accordingly. The update was successful, everything else is working ok (txt messaging, Handcent, etc.). However, when I tap the Email app icon, all I get is a pop up "Waiting for sync - Your email will appear soon" and a spinning wheel. Nothing else happens, even if I keep the phone on for hours thinking it has to complete some process or whatever. I have 4 mail accounts per that email app. The 'Gmail' app/icon works fine as I have an account there that was created when I first setup the phone via the setup wizard. That mail accounts mail synced and is current. But whatever I seem to try to do for my other mail accounts, via the Email app/icon, I just continually get the "Waiting for sync..." pop up/message.

Any suggestions on how to get my mail accounts working again would be well appreciated. :)

The update is to System Version: 6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US and the device says Android 4.0.4

Thank you,
Bob

outsid0r

Reaction score
The phone flagged that there is a system update so I proceeded accordingly. The update was successful, everything else is working ok (txt messaging, Handcent, etc.). However, when I tap the Email app icon, all I get is a pop up "Waiting for sync - Your email will appear soon" and a spinning wheel. Nothing else happens, even if I keep the phone on for hours thinking it has to complete some process or whatever. I have 4 mail accounts per that email app. The 'Gmail' app/icon works fine as I have an account there that was created when I first setup the phone via the setup wizard. That mail accounts mail synced and is current. But whatever I seem to try to do for my other mail accounts, via the Email app/icon, I just continually get the "Waiting for sync..." pop up/message.

Any suggestions on how to get my mail accounts working again would be well appreciated. :)

The update is to System Version: 6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US and the device says Android 4.0.4

Thank you,
Bob

have you tried a reset to factory? from 2.3 to 4.0 is a big leap and ive found my phone to be running smoother having factory reset after the update to ics

BuyTheBook

Reaction score

Thank you,
Bob

Same exact symptoms as one of my customers hit me with just a few hours ago. Here's what we did to fix it, as best I can recall...

Step 0) Write down the existing email account configs
Step 1) Remove the account that won't sync
Step 2) Clear the cache from that app (Go to Settings; Applications; All Applications; Email; Clear Cache)
Step 3) Add the account back to the email app
Step 4) Reboot, then resync

His older emails synced right away, but it took about a half hour before new emails began syncing to his phone. This was for an Exchange account, and of course, YMMV.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
F

funops

Reaction score
Same exact symptoms as one of my customers hit me with just a few hours ago. Here's what we did to fix it, as best I can recall...

Step 0) Write down the existing email account configs
Step 1) Remove the account that won't sync
Step 2) Clear the cache from that app (Go to Settings; Applications; All Applications; Email; Clear Cache)
Step 3) Add the account back to the email app
Step 4) Reboot, then resync

His older emails synced right away, but it took about a half hour before new emails began syncing to his phone. This was for an Exchange account, and of course, YMMV.

Good luck.
Thanks Folks. Reporting back that I fixed it but I'm afraid I can't give as detailed an explanation because frankly I kept trying all manner of things. :icon_eek: I can, however, recall that I tinkered with the settings in the mail account, for instance changed the Port number, then tapped the Done button. It error'ed. I then put back in the correct Port number, tapped the Done button and to my surprise, the account connected and synced. My mails where there, the IMAP folders/labels all intact with their respective mails, etc. I tried all kinds of things, turned off/on Sync for the account and so on. Go figure.

Something I did do, however, which might be worth noting is I have two email apps as noted, the Gmail app/icon and the Email app/icon. My business accounts, under the Email app/icon are Gmail accounts via our Google Apps account (thus our own domain name). I decided to try the Gmail app/icon for these since it is an easy setup, just tap existing account and enter username/password. Voila these connected immediately after first asking me what I want to sync with them (Calendar, etc.). Perfect. I then removed those accounts from the Email app/icon leaving only my personal accounts there which, as mentioned, eventually woke up or whatever and put new mail notifications in the status bar and so on. I don't mind using two mail apps, one for business and one for personal. Actually I'm liking that. But at some point if only for the principle of it I'm going to try to install one of those business accounts back into the Email app just to see what happens. Because other than this issue, the upgrade to 4.0.4 is smooth and clean, everything else (that I'm aware of thus far) is working like a treat.

I am reluctant to do a factory reset as noted because I'm still pretty new to the phone and this system and the warnings presented about loss of data, settings, etc. spooked me. :)

Bob

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Just for your on information....a Factory Data Reset "resets" the phone to "out of the box" condition. Maybe not how you got it out of the box, but how it would come out of the box (with it's current OS) without any user configured/setup information on it.

Ie....buy it with Gingerbread OS but you get an update of the OS to ICS....a Factory Data Reset will still be on ICS. The accounts you configured, the apps you downloaded, the settings you have made are all erased and need to be setup/installed again.

User stored settings, user downloaded apps are erased.

ybd2

Reaction score
I found this solution -- [video=youtube;GT5uHXLO298]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT5uHXLO298&noredirect=1[/video]
This worked for me. It's a quirky setting that I wasn't aware of.

nalin_raina

Reaction score
Thank You very much for sharing the solution you found. It solved my problem too. :)

nalin_raina

Reaction score
I found this solution -- [video=youtube;GT5uHXLO298]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT5uHXLO298&noredirect=1[/video]
This worked for me. It's a quirky setting that I wasn't aware of.

Thank You very much for sharing the solution you found. It solved my problem too. :)