Water damaged Razr Maxx doesn't update...is there any hope?

gmrd

Reaction score
Hi all,

After taking my Razr Maxx for a swim in the ocean, I managed to get it working again after taking it apart and replacing the battery. However, aside from a few other problems, it now refuses to update. It is currently on version 2.3.6 and I'd like to update it at least to ICS, if not to JB. It downloads the update but only gets about a third of the way into the installation before rebooting itself. Now, I would try rooting it and manually installing the update, but the up volume button no longer works. Is there a way to root it without the use of that button, or any other way to apply the update?

Thanks in advance!

avenged61973

Reaction score
If you disabled any stock apps or uninstalled any stock apps the update will fail. If you uninstalled any apps you will have to download DROID razr utility for gingerbread I believe it's version 1.6 and take your phone back to stock. Just Google it and you should be able to find it. There are plenty of threads on this site too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

avenged61973

Reaction score
If you disabled any stock apps or uninstalled any stock apps the update will fail. If you uninstalled any apps you will have to download DROID razr utility for gingerbread I believe it's version 1.6 and take your phone back to stock. Just Google it and you should be able to find it. There are plenty of threads on this site too.

I don't think any of this will work though. You have to put your phone into ap fastboot mode, and to do this you need your volume up button. Hopefully you just disabled some apps and it will work out. Or maybe someone else on here knows a different way.

Regulator

Reaction score
I don't think any of this will work though. You have to put your phone into ap fastboot mode, and to do this you need your volume up button. Hopefully you just disabled some apps and it will work out. Or maybe someone else on here knows a different way.

He can still boot into fastboot by enabling USB debugging and in the cmd prompt input "adb reboot bootloader"

RAZR MAXX