Water damage indicators... Help?

dewie68

Reaction score
So this is my first post as a new user and it's a tech support question! Thanks anyone and everyone who reads this in advance :)

So i have a Droid X and I work for Apple who gets a free application of Ghost Armor to their devices. So i used it for my Droid X and I've liked it for a while. The screen however managed to get scratched so i wanted to get it replaced for free. So i get it replaced but notice that they were using an excessive amount of spray and liquid, but i paid no attention to it. Right after i got it back and fired it up, it started freaking out on me. Buttons were not working, random things were happening like the camera was opening up and taking a huge amount of pictures, and just other crazy random things. As of right now, (nearly two days after all this) there are still problems with the buttons and it's not working correctly. So right after i saw the problems happening i went right back to them and asked what their policy was with the water damage and whatnot and he let me know that if the water damage indicator was triggered, then they can just pay for whatever the repair costs or replacement costs are. The only thing is that the outside indicator (the one inside the battery area, not on the battery) was not triggered, nor was the battery. So working at Apple i know that there are water damage indicators on the inside. I figured that some of those must be tripped. The only thing is that i don't want to send my phone in to Verizon or Motorola due to me not having my phone for so long. Pretty crappy. So my question is, does anyone know of a store/shop/tech center/anywhere that i can go to that would open up the phone and be able to prove that the indicators are set off and be able to replace it? If i could just replace it like that, Ghost Armor will pay me back in full. I really need this phone since i love it so much and it's a pretty big shame what happened to it, but hell, it happens. Would be a huge help if anyone knew of somewhere that would do it.

Second, a quick question.
So as i said, i work at Apple. We get a sweet discount through Verizon that gives us a really cheap plan but the only catch is that i have to pay outright for the phone. Now with my Droid X i managed to buy a refurbished one of this shady looking website, but it did come. It wasn't terribly expensive, but it did hit my wallet hard. Let me know if there's any cheap place that i can buy them outright or something else of that nature. Thanks guys so much!

OP
D

dewie68

Reaction score
Ah, I guess no one can help. S'all good, thanks for the people who read and thought about it at least. I'll send my phone in to Motorola now. Thanks guys! :)

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Maybe I'm a little too late to reply, but before taking a chance in losing out on a lot of money, read this:
About 5 weeks ago, I dropped my X in the pool. OH SNAP! Dove in and grabbed it from the depths and I pulled the battery. Then I ran to the garage to hit it with the air hose to get off/out as much water as I could. I put the battery back in and all was well............for about 5 minutes, then the buttons started acting up, screen would blink on and off, then moisture started to build up in the camera lense, then moisture all over the inside of the screen. So, I'm thinking that I'm screwed now, but then I remembered reading somewhere about the "bowl of rice" trick. Rice costs what, $1.00 for a huge box? Anyway, I left my phone in a huge bowl of rice, overnight. I used at least 4 cups in a large bowl, with at least an inch of rice on the the top, bottom and all sides, overnight! Let me tell you, it really does work and I'm still flashing roms today. Before you send your phone back, try the rice trick. It's definitely worth $1, even if it doesn't work. Good luck.
Ah, I guess no one can help. S'all good, thanks for the people who read and thought about it at least. I'll send my phone in to Motorola now. Thanks guys! :)

OP
D

dewie68

Reaction score
Ah... you know, i've heard that a couple time and i was just kinda skeptical of the whole thing. From what i've gathered is that the phone get wet and the insides start to rust, even if you've got the water out. As more time passes, the rust i guess gets worse of starts to affect more of the phone. So it may work for a little, but it'll eventually go out. I guess i should have tried it but i didnt... Oh well. Thanks mate.