Watch you DVD's on your Droid...!!!!

JoeProcopio

Reaction score
been using handbrake, works great.

handbrake just gives me errors when it tries to analyze the movie.i did find a program called ideal to ipod which is a pay program but allows for 10 launches too try it out...not bad. now if I could only find a serial for it lol

D

dvdcatalyst

Ok - I think I've followed all of the directions correctly. I'm using the DVD Cat 3 3.84.1 Trial (to make sure it worked before purchasing) and can't get the videos to play on my Moto Droid.
I used the Droid settings on DVD Cat (not HQ!) that seemed to work as I can watch the file on my lap top.
I transferred the file to my phone, and have tried watching it using Act 1 Video (trial), Cinema, Video Player, and Gallery. Act 1 says "There was an unkown error with the video (1,-17)", Cinema just goes to a black screen, Gallery says, "Sorry, this video cannot be played."
What have I done wrong??

Did the file transfer completely? In a lot of cases, WIndows says its done with the transfer, but is actually still putting the file on the Droid.

Did you try a battery-pull or a soft-reset on the Droid?
Elsewhere on these forums I've read that someone had issues with playing video files after one file did not work properly.

rocketman45

Reaction score
I tried Handbrake but for some strange reason after converting the DVD the converted file was not saved in my designated destination - 'My Videos'. Tried a second time with same result so uninstalled. Then tried free DVD Cat which worked fine. Did a couple of movies and moved them to the Droid although had black bars. Used iPhone setting. Only problem is that I could not close DVD Cat when I was finished. Kept getting error message saying, "cannot close program because system is locked". (WTF). Uninstalled it yet it still remained on my screen. After restarting my computer it was finally gone. I plan to go ahead and buy the paid version based on all the good reviews it's gotten.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I thought Handbrake was good too and spent hours trying to get it to work. Then I found this: WindowsGuiGuide ? HandBrake
which states: First things first. Handbrake on the Windows Platform does NOT decrypt Commercial DVDs. Let me repeat this. It does NOT decrypt commercial DVDs. So I was beating my head against a wall for nothing.

So if you're using a MAC I guess Handbrake is OK. I don't know. But if you're using Windows, DVD Catalyst 3 is the best way to go. I got it for $10 and ripping movies to the Droid is mindlessly easy. I didn't have to download other special decrypter or anything. It just worked, fist time.

jjb

Reaction score
I thought Handbrake was good too and spent hours trying to get it to work. Then I found this: WindowsGuiGuide ? HandBrake
which states: First things first. Handbrake on the Windows Platform does NOT decrypt Commercial DVDs. Let me repeat this. It does NOT decrypt commercial DVDs. So I was beating my head against a wall for nothing.

So if you're using a MAC I guess Handbrake is OK. I don't know. But if you're using Windows, DVD Catalyst 3 is the best way to go. I got it for $10 and ripping movies to the Droid is mindlessly easy. I didn't have to download other special decrypter or anything. It just worked, fist time.

Ok, so I'm trying the DVD Catalyst 3 trial version 1st to see if I can get it to work (only downloads a partial). After it finishes downloading I right click on the movie partial and send it to my droid; it appears to work. But when I go to play the movie on the droid it says cannot display. I guess what I'd like to know is; what exactly do you do to send the movie from your desktop to the droid once the download is complete?

D

dvdcatalyst

First try and play the file on your computer, and see if it actually works
Second. Transfer the video as described, but wait a littlw while longer to make sure the file is actually transferred completely. A lot of times, windows will claim its done, but its still transfering in the background.
Someone on these forums posted that if you play a bad video file, videos you try afterwards will not play as well, eventhough they normally would. Try a battery-pull / softreset.

jjb

Reaction score
Second. Transfer the video as described, but wait a littlw while longer to make sure the file is actually transferred completely. A lot of times, windows will claim its done, but its still transfering in the background.
Someone on these forums posted that if you play a bad video file, videos you try afterwards will not play as well, eventhough they normally would. Try a battery-pull / softreset.

Yea, it wont even play on my laptop, says it downloaded successfully too. Does the fact I'm trying to play it on RealPlayer have anything to do with it?

D

dvdcatalyst

Yea, it wont even play on my laptop, says it downloaded successfully too. Does the fact I'm trying to play it on RealPlayer have anything to do with it?

It could. Quicktime should play the file, as well as iTunes.

Maybe try a different DVD/video file?

scottg22

Reaction score
Magic DVD Ripper program works slick and the ipod/mp4 format works nicely on the droid. U can get a trial version of Magic DVD ripper to try a few DVD's. I ended up buying it because it works so good.

Rip DVD to a file on PC, Mount Droid and then transfer to SD Card.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Just to add to the thread--I use Handbrake just to convert my existing .wmv or .avi files. However, I am now going to probably get myself a copy of DVDCat because of this thread and let the ripping begin. :)

- Mega

JTAC

Reaction score
Well, as of right now I removed all the movies off my Droid. Why did I do that? Because....thanks to DVD Catalyst (Mitch), I am the guinea pig of a MP4 streaming site he created. Now I have all my movies on there and can stream them whenever I want. Runs perfectly; I am able to skip back and forth, no audio or video lag issues...nothing.

The downside is this. I cannot access my router management to open the port to make it readily available to everyone. I forgot my user name and password (so many of them these days).

DVD Catalyst (Mitch), thanks for thinking outside the box!

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm not sure if it would be wise to share your own connection this way. Streaming video depends on your upload speed, which is usually considerably less than your download speed.
the high quality files you have might already be too high in quality to stream to 1 device, let alone 10's or 100's at the same time.

On your local network, its no problem, wifi B (11MB/s) is plenty