DVD Catalyst

ibsys2562

Reaction score
Boy are we spoiled these days... I remember ripping DVDs as an 8 hour event on my 700Mhz PIII to divx and rmv9 because Xvid wasn't up to snuff. Now we complain about about 30 minutes to rip to beautiful h264! Haha, how fast things change and how soon we forget!
haha, yes... 8 hr rips... mine were longer, from what i recall.. leave it on overnight, and half the time there was an error halfway through...

but boy it was worth ripping Godzilla!

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
DROID DNA - MP4 Audio and Video - Out of Sync

Can't Do Battery Pull - Internal non-removable battery

Droid DNA - Problem - when I play .mp4 movies on Droid DNA - audio and video are out of sync
Droid DNA - Shutting down all running apps - Droid DNA HTC Sense software is left running
Droid DNA - believe HTC Sense software makes MP4 movies A/V go out of sync
MP4s play fine on Original Droid - are out of sync on Droid DNA
MP4s play fine on my PC - converted from DVD by dvd cayalyst

BACKGROUND
Original Droid - Rooted
Manage Apps - after stopping most running Apps - MP4 Audio was in sync with video
Cleared Cache
ROM MAnager - fixed permissions
Software - Original Droid Movie Player

DVD Catalyst
Fast HTC Droid DNA setting
Same Resulting File Size After Conversion
Conversion: 30 fps / CRF 22 - better picture - 1.15 GB file size
Conversion: 24 fps / CRF 20 - 1.15 GB file size

MP4 Movies
Bourne Identity
30 fps worked great - Original Droid
Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum

Steps I Took:

DROID DNA - Powered OFF - Turned Phone Back On (Several Times - unchecking fast boot - to clear memory on startup)
DROID DNA - Shut Down / Turned Off

Droid DNA - Stopped Running Apps

HTC Sense - stopped
HTC Sense Input - settings | Language & Keyboard - Turned Off - Google Voice Typing | offensive language block | Vibratation on keys when typing
Settings | Apps - all - press on app - disabled Verizon 'bloatware" - unchecked | stopped notification - cleared data
Apps - Upper Right Menu - Cached Running services - stopped Verizon services

Wireless& Networks
Turned Off - Wi Fi
Turned Off - Mobile data

Accounts & Sync
Turned Off - Sync

Battery
Unchecked fastboot

Display&Gestures
Turned off HTC Guestures

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi Liquid Fusion,

I'm sorry you are experiencing issues with your video files.

Based on the information you provided, I'm not sure what to suggest. It doesn't point to an issue caused by DVD Catalyst, since the videos play fine on your OG Droid and on your computer.

While it is a possibility, I don't think Sense is causing the complication though.

You are the first one to contact me with this, but it is not the first time that an HTC device has sync issues with video playback.

A couple of years ago, they had the HTC HD2 made in 2 different factories, and in one of the factories, they used inferior parts, which caused sync issues with video playback.

The stupid thing was that on one HD2 video files work fine, and on others (from a different factory) there were sync issues.

For that purpose, I implemented an audio-delay feature (global > advanced) in DVD Catalyst 4, but using it is not something I would recommend, because it actually offsets the audio from the video (read: audio sync issue on purpose) if you enable it.

What I would suggest is this:

1. find a free video/episode on Google Play, and see if that plays fine (my guess is no).
2. download a free video player that has software decoding support (dice, mx, rock) from Google Play, and see if that plays better (play the video with software decoding).

Of course you can enable the audio delay setting as well (you might have to adjust it to get it right), but by actually encoding the file with an offset sync on purpose, the videos will be useless for anything else.

On a side-note, CRF only works with the standard and HQ/HQXT profiles. it does not do anything for the fast profile.

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply

Tried both MX player and Act 1 - Audio / video - almost in sync. Good to know about the possibility of different quality depending on which factory made this device re: use of inferior parts. Droid DNA screen is great - hate to think I need to go back to my Original Droid to watch movies....

Will try re-encoding MP4 with different settings....

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks for the fast reply

Tried both MX player and Act 1 - Audio / video - almost in sync. Good to know about the possibility of different quality depending on which factory made this device re: use of inferior parts.

Droid DNA screen is great - hate to think I need to go back to my Original Droid to watch movies....

On the HD2, the one that had sync issues, it was 1/4th of a second off.

You are not alone with this though:

HTC DNA sound/audio lag - Android Forums

I've had the phone for a couple of days and noticed that audio is not in sync with videos. This goes for youtube streaming, downloaded clips and video files transferred from my pc.

Audio video out if sync | Droid DNA > XDA

Doesn't matter what app I use, YouTube, plex, Netflix, dish network sling box. All audio and video is out of sync.

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
DVD Catalyst 4 Retail - NON BETA

TEST #1
Yahoo Video - Stephen Stills / Fender Custom Guitars
Original Droid - perfect sync all times
Droid DNA - noticeable audio / video sync lag

TEST #2
Made a test of Bourne Identity Trailer
Converted with Mpeg4iPod (10 Min) and another demo with H264 Android HQXT (30 Min)
1250 bitrate
30 fps
160 kbps audio
crf 22

Droid DNA - MX Player - all players - slight noticeable delay all files.
Original Droid - MX Player best player - Best - near perfect sync - MPeg4iPod using SW (Software) Decoder.
Original Droid - Did play the H264 Android HQXT file - SW decoder better - not perfect sync / slight video delay.

Last edited:

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
95% Sync!!!! Audio | Video - Catalyst Beta Did It!!!!!

Tested DVD Catalyst BETA Software - 4.4.1.2 Beta

YES!!!!!!!

Result: Audio very close in sync with video - MX Player - SW (Software) Decoder

HARD RESET DROID DNA - backup & reset | Reset Phone - uncheck automatic restore | settings
Tried adding only a few apps before checking audio / video sync. Didn't want apps to interfere with testing.

Disable bloatware - settings | apps - all - press on each app you wish to disable - choose disabled - uncheck notification - clear data

DVD Catayst 4 Beta Software
MP4 FORMAT
video size: 1920X1080
video quality bit rate: 1500
video mode: 1 pass
audio bit rate: 192 - film always is better with good sound.....
stereo
MPeg4_iPod
volume 5 (std)
frs 30 (std)
crf unchecked 20

Netflix - OK

YouTube - Certain music videos are right in sync. Others are very close. (Forum won't allow multiple video links)
- Stephen Stills Talks About His Strat and Career- very close sync on DNA Droid
- Caveman Perform "My Time" on the Fender Airstream - in sync on DNA Droid

Last edited:

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
Exchanged DNA for replacement at Verizon store. Tech agreed there was a slight out of sync situation. Concerned the new phone might be worse. How to tell what factory in China these were made at? Which factory in China used good or inferior parts? Quadrant score is faster on replacement. Still see slight audio video lag.

If it's both a physical and software problem, then I have ability to replace phone when hardware fix happens. Software is Sense 4. Possibly Sense 5 will have a fix as MX Player SW (software) Decoder seemed to correct the out of sync audio | video best.

D

dvdcatalyst

Exchanged DNA for replacement at Verizon store. Tech agreed there was a slight out of sync situation. Concerned the new phone might be worse. How to tell what factory in China these were made at? Which factory in China used good or inferior parts? Quadrant score is faster on replacement. Still see slight audio video lag.

If it's both a physical and software problem, then I have ability to replace phone when hardware fix happens. Software is Sense 4. Possibly Sense 5 will have a fix as MX Player SW (software) Decoder seemed to correct the out of sync audio | video best.

I have no idea.

I mentioned the difference in factories in regards of similar issues with a different HTC phone, the HD2. My suspicion is that the DNA has these issues for a similar reason, however, I have not seen anything in this regard anywhere.

In my previous reply, I included a few links to threads on this issue on other forums. Maybe have a look there, and see what other people say.
I found those with a quick Google, so I'm sure there are more.

Audio video out if sync | Droid DNA > XDA

HTC DNA sound/audio lag - Android Forums

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
Agree - China has no laws for quality control as does USA. It it does the job - and they can get away with it - they ship it. How many DNA users watch DVD MP4's on their phone? Tried making less quality mp4 with the idea it'd be less stress on the Droid DNA CPU | GPU to decode. Actually it's not bad.....

Download both test mp4's here

MP4 FORMAT
video size: 1920X1080
video quality bit rate: 1000
video mode" 1 pass
audio bit rate: 160
stereo
MPeg4_iPod
volume 5
frs 30
crf unchecked 20

Last edited:

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
Like to know how to use DVD Catalyst 4.4.1.2 (retail) to make an individual chapter mp4 from DVD VOBs - can do this in Handbrake.

Handbrake: Audio / Video settings that create MP4's with minimal sync problems:
Android High
Video - 30 fps | Mpeg4 (FFMpeg) | 1500 Avg Bitrate kbps
Audio - AC3 (5.1) | AAC (Faac) | Dolby Pro Logic II | 160 kbps
Audio - Advanced Tab | +10db | + 1.6 Dynamics
MX Player SW Decoder (software) - video
MX Player HW Decoder (hardware) - audio

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

Like to know how to use DVD Catalyst 4.4.1.2 (retail) to make an individual chapter mp4 from DVD VOBs - can do this in Handbrake.

Enable Power User,

Then before you tap Go, select the track you want to split, and enable the "split in parts of 1 scene" checkmark (leave it set to 1 for single scene files)