Warranty - Verizon vs BestBuy

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I was just reading the buy at store vs online thread and there was some discussion about warranty and service if not bought from Verizon. My wife and I have always bought our phones at the local Verizon store, but she bought her Ally at BestBuy 3 months ago. It was $0 vs $150 at Verizon with a $100 rebate.

My question is: Who does she get warranty service from if there is a problem? Verizon, BestBuy, LG? I get the impression that I can't take it in to the Verizon store for a replacement. Is this correct? She does not have any extended warranty.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't you have something like 15 days after purchase to add insurance? I got my Droid at BB and insurance from Verizon.

BeADroid

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid from Best Buy in April. The screen developed a problem, and I called Verizon, I am getting a new D2 as a warranty replacement. so you should be good to go through Verizon, for all manufacture warranty stuff. Hope this helps.

stanrc

Reaction score
When you buy at BB they will ask if you want insurance through them, or through Asurion (verizons insurance provider). The biggest differences are that BB insurance covers everything except a stolen/lost phone, and they will replace it on the spot. Asurion will cover lost/stolen phones but they have a deductible for any replacements. The manufacturer probably offers a 1 year warranty, but only on defects.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Manufacturer's warranty is handled through the carrier.

Don't you have something like 15 days after purchase to add insurance?
Either way warranty != insurance and vice versa.

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid from Best Buy in April. The screen developed a problem, and I called Verizon, I am getting a new D2 as a warranty replacement. so you should be good to go through Verizon, for all manufacture warranty stuff. Hope this helps.

Verizon's warranty replacement is just a portal for the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. So I think they will warranty replace your phone (with a CLNR) even if you bought it at Best Buy, but don't quote me on that.

similar discussion here: Will the Verizon store replace my Droid that I purchased at Bestbuy? - Android Forums

Manufacturer's warranty is handled through the carrier.

Don't you have something like 15 days after purchase to add insurance?
Either way warranty != insurance and vice versa.

Thanks for the help. Those were the answers that I was looking for. I should have explained better, but what I was asking was if Verizon honored the 1 yr manufacturer's warranty if I bought the phone at BB. We did not want an extended warranty on her phone, as when the 1 yr warranty is up on hers is when I am eligible for a new phone to replace my Droid. So she would either get my Droid or she could use my upgrade to get a new phone if her Ally dies.