Warranty Replacement, Round 1!

johntkong

Reaction score
I believe my Droid has one of the few raised keyboards. I guess I'm one of the lucky few. I would hate a flat keyboard. I don't want the Droid 2 as it's design is too "soft". I like the angles and edges of my Droid. Good luck with your warranty exchanges. I hope you get a Droid that is comparable to your original.

Number Six

Reaction score
Per my previous post I received replacement #4 for my Droid 1 Monday. Again it had a loose screen that open crooked and rattled. So I went to the local Verizon store and they had about 20 cert-new droids. It was not busy so I went thru them all and found two that were pretty close, in "tightness" and smoothness to my original. The rep helping me concurred that my original was surprisingly smooth and tight, especially compared to all the phone we went thru. Just wanting this to be over I accepted one and went home. About 15 minutes later got a call from the rep b/c he needs the meid # off my new replacement. During the call I lose service and it will not come back. I drove back to the store, b/c I couldn't call them. When I got to the store the rep gave some song and dance about them needing to "clean" the phone etc... In short the replacement had a nice slider but had bogus electronics. After waiting for 45 minutes with the rep assuring me everything was OK, I told him I was done with this and needed to talk to a manager or someone who could take care of this. He mentoined giving me a droid2, then the manager walked by and told him NO, droid 1 for a droid 1, I would have to pay for a droid2. Then the manager disappeared into the back. Knowing there was another droid in their stock of 20 that was pretty close, from my earlier visit, I went back thru their stock and found it. The rep wanted 15 minutes to activated it, I told him I would do it b/c it only takes a few minutes.He turned out to be clueless(hence the phone call earlier) It worked, I left and everything seems good,I can go about my life. Interacting with cell phone companies employees is like dealing with used car salesmen.

Editorial: Next phone is not going to have a sliding keyboard, I think it is a structural liability and I find myself using the onscreen keyboard more and more,I can live without it. Also, as long as new phones come out every 3-6 months getting a warrant replacement is always going to be a problem. Companies make a production runs of a certain models and then discontinue production and move on to the next one. Having had this issue, I researched online and I believe everyone abused the replacement process a few months ago when people were posting that they were getting new X's and 2 for their droid 1's. People admitted in forum posts, to sabotaging their phones to get an upgrade. I wish Verizon would have be stricter on those folks b/c people with legitimate problems now seem to be suffering. I love my smart phone and it is incredible what it/they can do, but having the service tied to the hardware tied to a contract is kind of uncomfortable; feels like I'm at the mercy of the cell company.

droidman101

Reaction score
PS: not sure what motoblur is, by the little bit I have read about it, I suspect I don't want it or a phone that has it. I like my droid 1.
Blur isn't too bad if you run a rom that removes it :). The keyboard issues you've had are what happened to me when I got my brand new droid after I had to warranty it through ASSURION because my keyboard fell off after I dropped it. (I knew it was brand new because the hardware was scratch-free and came in a package with all the stuff my original droid came with). After a while your droid will be easier to slide out, trust me, lol, my droid at the beginning needed two thumbs to slide, but now it needs just one :)

sent from my shadowROM droid :)

guyinlaca

Reaction score
Just an FYI, MOST Droids have the flat keyboard and they get raised over a month or 2. I tried to exchange one for this issue once, and every store laughed at me and refused. I was shocked, my Droid went from flat to bubbled in just a month, and after 3 months it was very very raised.

I think that the ones raised from the start are tightened more in the spaces between the keys.

A friend of mine is on their 4th Droid:

Droid #1- Stopped holding 3G signal, camera stopped working, touch screen came loose

Droid #2- Dead pixels on the screen & loose slider

Droid #3- Headphone jack stopped working, micro-usb port loose, charger would just fall out.

Droid #4- We shall see.

Verizon has said absolutely no to replacing with a different model.

johntkong

Reaction score
My keyboard was a bit tight at first but I can feel it becoming easier to slide open and the hardware keys are also easier to type on. I guess I'm seasonings my Droid just right :)

OP
O

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Round 2: Droid 1, Flat Keyboard, passes initial inspection, but I haven't switched over to it yet, so we'll see.

OP
O

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
This replacement seems to work fine, so I've decided to keep it. I'm really not the sort of person to hold out or cause a stink for a Droid 2, because I plan on buying a 2 GHz LTE phone early next year anyways.

I've switched pretty much everything over to it, and it appears to be working completely fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good for you that you aren't the kind of person who has that entitlement attitude and glad your Droid is working well for you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This replacement seems to work fine, so I've decided to keep it. I'm really not the sort of person to hold out or cause a stink for a Droid 2, because I plan on buying a 2 GHz LTE phone early next year anyways.

I've switched pretty much everything over to it, and it appears to be working completely fine.
Exactly why I didn't kick and scream even though I'm on my 3rd D1 since November. :)

OP
O

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Issue I thought was an issue fixed, was a setting oddity.

Last edited: