need advice with getting warranty replacement

oresteez

Reaction score
So...
I've been having a problem for months with my headphone jack. Sometimes the sound is staticy. The sound will constantly switch from working in both ears, then to 1 ear, then to both, then to none..then back again. (very annoying if I'm listening to Pandora with the phone in my pocket while mowing the lawn..because it pauses the song...now I have to take my gloves off to turn the song back on..)
And I've used at least 4 different sets of headphones to replicate the problem.....

I called yesterday and they over-nighted me a replacement phone. It's a reconditioned Droid 1...its in beautiful condition...except........
The power button feels like it's been mashed in. It works...there's just no "click" to it. I'm not happy with that.

I bought the phone on launch day, so I'm almost at the end of my 1 year warranty (I think it ends Nov 6th).

I'm thinking of calling up to have them send me another. What are my chances of getting them to send me a new phone? Best case scenario would obviously be that they send me a new phone, even better if it's a Droid 2, and even better if it's a Droid X, since I don't even use the physical keyboard anymore.

Any advice on what's the best course of action?
Thanks in advance.

warrior21

Reaction score
They most likely will send you another refurb. D1. The only time I have heard of anyone getting an upgrade is if they complained enough after getting multiple bad phones sent to them. You can call them and see what they have to offer but I'd say your chances of getting another refurb. are pretty good. If it does have a hardware issue I would definitely call though

Last edited:

barcodelinux

Reaction score
The phone they sent you is refurbished. It was supposed to be refurbished to production specifications. While I do not have the actual Motorola A855 specification sheet in front of me, I can be fairly certain that power button is supposed to be flush with the top bezel.

Call them up and tell them that since the power button is not flush with the surrounding bezel, when you put your phone in the protective case, you cant turn it off or power it on by pressing the button. They should send you a replacement for your replacement.

EDIT: I agree with warrior21. They will only let you upgrade if you have the same model replaced three times. Even then it will be a phone of their choosing. But warranty or not, if you are paying for insurance (Asurion or whatever) on the phone, your phone will be replaced. The date of your manufacturers warranty is irrelevant.

Last edited:
OP
O

oresteez

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with them...

This button is really worse than I originally thought. If I did put it back in the case, you are right, I don't think I'd even be able to turn the phone on or off.

So they are definitely sending another refurb. At the end of the day, I love the Droid 1, so I'll take it if its perfectly working. I'll see what happens with phone number 3 when they over-night it to me for tomorrow....

Yes I do have the extra warranty through Asurion. They said this gives me the extended warranty and lets me keep getting replacements, even after my 1 year purchase date..

They also offered me the option of buying a new phone at 1 year pricing...I think a Droid 2 was 219 and a Droid X was 269.... I turned that down.

They also said if available, I could get a reconditioned Droid X or Droid 2, but none are currently available. (I didn't even ask about the Incredible, I don't want to have to rebuy all new accessories...at least not yet..)

warrior21

Reaction score
Hopefully the next replacement will be better. My wife went through a 2 replacements until she got one that worked well.

powrful1

Reaction score
I had the power button fail on my original release date D1, ok no problem goto VZ store and they drop ship me a "like" new replacement. Ok, well I get it and load everything up, keep it for a few days and goto take a picture....rutro, huge red spot in middle of pictures. Round 2, no problem goto VZ store and they agree to send me another "like" new phone. I finally activate this one yesterday, it keeps rebooting and locking up.

CRAP!!

Trying to be available the next week for FedEx is impossible and I am tired of driving half way across town to ship the broken phone back. So the rep agrees to ship it next day to the store...if this time fails I will raise a **** storm for a new phone at no cost....but I really LOVE my D1.