Warranty Denied by Verizon?

ndhill1976

Reaction score
So in the space where my battery goes there are lots of scratches from inserting the battery and taking it out and assorted house hold items that have brushed against it (keys :p) when the battery was taken out.

I am very aware of new gadgets that come out every day, but when it comes to hardware, I'm almost completely lost. It took me about a day to find out what was wrong with my X!

But what if either motorola, verizon or asurion thinks I'm tampering with the device because of the scratches on back? Would they refuse replacement?

Why would keys or household items brush against your battery compartment? Do you carry it around without a battery or battery cover?

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Actually, yeah. For a while when I didn't know what was wrong with the device. A high pitched hissing noise sounded when my battery was in, so while I carried around my broken device (you never know when you might have time to goto a vzw store for a replacement) I had the battery cover and battery off, so my phone was exposed.

Oh well, it don't matter much

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but I do NOT want to receive a replacement phone from asurion, most are refurbished, and I heard customer support is abysmal. :(

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
They go back to Motorola (warranty) or Asurion(insurance), are repaired and offered as Certified Like New Replacements (CLNRs) after a thorough inspection.

Always curious about the phone biz, want to get a new job at a phone manufacturer some day.
Wonder what Motorola does for inspection. Do they do a software analysis? Do they look at only the exterior of the phone, or take it apart and look at the interior too? Why does motorola inspect anyways?

Asurion inspection probably means they look at the sent in phone for 10 seconds, then throw it in a "to be refurbished" bin ;)

Last edited:

ionide

Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but I do NOT want to receive a replacement phone from asurion, most are refurbished, and I heard customer support is abysmal. :(

The X just came out, I imagine any asurion replacement you get for the x would not be refurbished. Also, any warranty exchange thru verizon is more likely to be refurbished than an asurion replacement. You should file a claim thru asurion.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

The X just came out, I imagine any asurion replacement you get for the x would not be refurbished. Also, any warranty exchange thru verizon is more likely to be refurbished than an asurion replacement. You should file a claim thru asurion.

I didnt know Vz even provided refurbs.... i thought that was what asurion provides. Vz has new phones behind the counters.

ndhill1976

Reaction score

I didnt know Vz even provided refurbs.... i thought that was what asurion provides. Vz has new phones behind the counters.

I have had 2 replacements through verizon for my Droid1, and they were both refurbs. I think everyone else has had the same experience with the Droid1 too.

The X may not be into refurbs yet.

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Great! I read that if you file a claim over the phone you can request a new phone and they send you it new! Does anyone know if I can request getting a new Incredible through Asurion? It costs the same...

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great! I read that if you file a claim over the phone you can request a new phone and they send you it new! Does anyone know if I can request getting a new Incredible through Asurion? It costs the same...

Lol, just go for it. All they are going to do is say no if they cant. My guess is you will be able to but im not an expert at all. :biggrin:

wmnomore

Reaction score
If you're within 30 days of purchase, you will get a new phone when dealing with verizon. i would fight them on this. it seems to me that part should not break that easily.

You usually get a refurb thru asurion, not a new phone. do they ever offer new phones?

The only way i got a new phone thru asurion was with my omnia-had 4 replacements that were bad and i finally went to the store and they gave me a new one.
good luck

fastpat

Reaction score
If you're within 30 days of purchase, you will get a new phone when dealing with verizon. i would fight them on this. it seems to me that part should not break that easily.
He jammed the battery into the the wrong way, breaking the contacts in the phone. It's his abuse that caused the breakage. Not only that, he carried the phone around in his pocket with the battery cover and battery out of the phone with keys and coins in with it.

You usually get a refurb thru asurion, not a new phone. do they ever offer new phones?

The only way i got a new phone thru asurion was with my omnia-had 4 replacements that were bad and i finally went to the store and they gave me a new one.
good luck
Verizon should repair/replace a phone that's defective within normal designed use.

That's what they've done for me on a number of occasions, I had to replace a late model flip phone twice, and my bricked Droid once. I never had a problem with getting a replacement at no cost to me.

SonRK

Reaction score
Do Droid keys falling off not count as being defective? No damage was done to it, by like falling or liquids, etc. It just started coming off with everyday use, but Verizon rep in the store said that as physical damage it is not covered.

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Yeah, but the thing is I did not shove the battery in that hard. Ah well. My rep friend gets back in 2 weeks. From what I see, the only ways I can get a new phone are:
1. Talk to rep buddy and he can squeeze a warranty into the deal and I walk away with a new X or incredible from the store
2. Use a shared upgrade on my business account to buy a new incredible.

Dont get ne wrong guys, it was my fault I put the battery in wrong, it's still a weak connecter though. But From what I've learned, if I send into either Asurion or Verizon, I get a refurb back, and getting a different phone model back from asurion is too confusing. My best bet is to ask the rep about it.

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
I'm very sorry for double posting, but I am now going to say:

My issue has almost been resolved, there is no way I can receive a new Droid X as a replacement, through neither Verizon nor Asurion.

I have decided to buck up and fork out $200 bucks for a new phone upgrade. While I can't upgrade from an X to another X, I have decided to upgrade to a Incredible instead.

My VZW rep friend won't come back for another 2 weeks, and I can't wait that long, and I don't know if he'll just say "no" anyways.

So, decision: Upgrade broken X to new Inc.

Solved.