Warranty Denied by Verizon?

MacPhobia

Reaction score
My Droid X stopped working a couple days ago. I posted in my (Incredible vs X) thread about it yesterday. Though, I found out the problem. A faulty battery contact snapped off in the process of a soft reset (it's when you take the battery out) and my phone is now useless. Sadly, a Verizon employee denied a replacement phone by warranty and said I had to pay $79 for insurance fees.

Under warranty conditions, I can get the same phone or a phone of equal or comparable value as a replacement. I wasn't totally satisfied with my Droid X before, and after reading online, I thought the Inc. would fit me better. They had no X's in stock and 2 Incredibles. So, I was glad I could get a different phone under warranty for free.

But since the Verizon employee called the broken contact point "physical damage" and an accident by the owner putting the battery in incorrectly, it caused me not to be able to use the warranty. They said I could only make an insurance claim with Asurion and pay fees to get a replacement Droid X, or instead upgrade to a new phone.

I was disappointed that a faulty battery contact would be considered "physical damage" and not a manufacturing defect, because phone battery contacts aren't meant to break off so easily.

So what should I do? I want an Inc. very badly, but I do not want to pay $200 with an upgrade to get it. I have a friend who is a Verizon employee who is on vacation for another week and a half, so could I talk to him about it? Could he consider the faulty battery contact warranty covered and get me a free replacement Inc?

Or should I just pay fees and get the unactivated insurance X and sell it and buy a new Inc. and activate it?
Are warranty and insurance claims void if I don't announce them within a certain day period from when the device was broken? Is getting a replacement phone more complicated then I thought?

Sorry, for the long post, I'm just confused today ;)

Mac

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Mmkay, I'll check that out.

Do YOU think it should have been insurance? Or warranty?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My Droid X stopped working a couple days ago. I posted in my (Incredible vs X) thread about it yesterday. Though, I found out the problem. A faulty battery contact snapped off in the process of a soft reset (it's when you take the battery out) and my phone is now useless. Sadly, a Verizon employee denied a replacement phone by warranty and said I had to pay $79 for insurance fees.

Under warranty conditions, I can get the same phone or a phone of equal or comparable value as a replacement. I wasn't totally satisfied with my Droid X before, and after reading online, I thought the Inc. would fit me better. They had no X's in stock and 2 Incredibles. So, I was glad I could get a different phone under warranty for free.

But since the Verizon employee called the broken contact point "physical damage" and an accident by the owner putting the battery in incorrectly, it caused me not to be able to use the warranty. They said I could only make an insurance claim with Asurion and pay fees to get a replacement Droid X, or instead upgrade to a new phone.

I was disappointed that a faulty battery contact would be considered "physical damage" and not a manufacturing defect, because phone battery contacts aren't meant to break off so easily.

So what should I do? I want an Inc. very badly, but I do not want to pay $200 with an upgrade to get it. I have a friend who is a Verizon employee who is on vacation for another week and a half, so could I talk to him about it? Could he consider the faulty battery contact warranty covered and get me a free replacement Inc?

Or should I just pay fees and get the unactivated insurance X and sell it and buy a new Inc. and activate it?
Are warranty and insurance claims void if I don't announce them within a certain day period from when the device was broken? Is getting a replacement phone more complicated then I thought?

Sorry, for the long post, I'm just confused today ;)

Warranty can't be voided by a rep directly but, we know what will and will not fly with the manufacturers. Something like that shouldn't be a big issue though, stuff happens. What most don't know though is that, if a device is sent back to whatever manufacturer claiming "warranty" and the problem isn't duplicated, VERIZON is charged full retail for the equipment! So many are under the impression that its all based on our (rep's) discretion and its not. I see where this rep is coming from though. It would've most likely been "kicked back" by Motorola because it physically could not have broken without inserting/removing the battery. Even if a rep believes you, Motorola probably will not.

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Well okay, I think I did put the battery in wrong once.
But still, is there any way I can use warranty for this? Any loophole? If I get another X with insurance, and if it is defective will it have warranty so that I can get a replacement Inc?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mmkay, I'll check that out.

Do YOU think it should have been insurance? Or warranty?
Sorry for the dude above but i disagree. I had this typed up before and my net crapped on me (its stormy) im not retyping my post so here it is and imagine it above Droid DOES!! lol. :
Its hard for me to answer that lol, ive only got 1 time experience with this sort of thing.... i practically never break my things. I guess it depends on who the tech is at the time. My 1 time warentee replacement was for my enV and my power socket was messed up. I asked him to do a software update on my phone and he couldnt, so i got a new EnV out of it. My guess is if i would have tried it on a different person that it wouldnt have gone so well but VZ does have excellent CS. I know on a lot of these situations its all on the techs opinion. SO do i think you could get a warentee replacement, YES. (i did) but to be honest droids are alot more expenisve than an EnV and if one tech said no then your odds just got lower. :(

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
But still, is there any way I can use warranty for this? Any loophole? If I get another X with insurance, and if it is defective will it have warranty so that I can get a replacement Inc?

Ahhh the truth comes out! Haha! Juuuust kidding!! Honestly, it depends on who you talk to. As far as Asurion goes, it depends on what they have. Could be an X, D2, or Inc. Personally, an Inc would seem like a downgrade from an X but, that's just me. Good luck man!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And yes, the replacements have 90 day warranties.

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Well okay. Thanks for the response.
When my VZW rep buddy gets back from vacation I'll ask him. I'm guessing whether or not I can get warranty replacement on my X is to the discretion of my rep buddy (also if I can get a replacement Inc instead too).
Just curious, what happens to a faulty phone that goes to warranty? Does vzw or motorola get it and inspect it?

ndhill1976

Reaction score

Then you need to shell out the $79 and get it replaced with your insurance. You broke it due to negligence.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well okay. Thanks for the response.
When my VZW rep buddy gets back from vacation I'll ask him. I'm guessing whether or not I can get warranty replacement on my X is to the discretion of my rep buddy (also if I can get a replacement Inc instead too).
Just curious, what happens to a faulty phone that goes to warranty? Does vzw or motorola get it and inspect it?

Go for it! I'd go on a day that the last person you talked to isn't working too so it wouldn't complicate things, you know? They could go to the manager and get your friend in trouble. They go back to Motorola (warranty) or Asurion(insurance), are repaired and offered as Certified Like New Replacements (CLNRs) after a thorough inspection.

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Oops ! Sorry Droid DOES! I replied to a different post before I could read yours. Are you suggesting that I could still get an Inc through Asurion? Yippee!

Ps, the x could seem better, but I fell in love with Sense UI at a phone stand (lol) and would really want it on my phone. Also, Inc is less bulky and runs smoother on most programs (I :heart: Snapdragon)

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
Just a heads up, my posts are all delayed cause I'm typing with only my index finger on my iPod touch :$

OP
MacPhobia

MacPhobia

Reaction score
So in the space where my battery goes there are lots of scratches from inserting the battery and taking it out and assorted house hold items that have brushed against it (keys :p) when the battery was taken out.

I am very aware of new gadgets that come out every day, but when it comes to hardware, I'm almost completely lost. It took me about a day to find out what was wrong with my X!

But what if either motorola, verizon or asurion thinks I'm tampering with the device because of the scratches on back? Would they refuse replacement?

fastpat

Reaction score

Then you need to shell out the $79 and get it replaced with your insurance. You broke it due to negligence.
This is the correct answer. MacPhobia, man up and pay for your error. It's the right thing to do.