Warning on Gmail update

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just a warning on anyone who wants to update their Gmail app thats in the market today. Don't do it if you have any widgets that integrate with Gmail. Google has removed the ability of third party tools to talk to Gmail's database. Meaning your LP Gmail widgets wont work, your MissedIt! widget won't work, and any other widget that accesses your Gmail account will break...I guess you can do a complete wipe to downgrade back to an old version, as uninstalling updates doesn't fix this, but I havent tried a full wipe...

Gotta love Google sometimes...haha

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
for those of you who've done it, restoring a backup works too, so no need to complete wipe.

slider112

Reaction score
for those of you who've done it, restoring a backup works too, so no need to complete wipe.

This is what I did; worked perfectly. Luckily I had created a nandroid backup within the last couple days.

c'mon Gmail... ugh. :icon_rolleyes:

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's a forced update a my installation updated automatically even with auto update off...that sucks.

slider112

Reaction score
oh wow... that sucks... i have my auto update turned off as well and still haven't seen it try to update again.

Crossing my fingers here...

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh wow... that sucks... i have my auto update turned off as well and still haven't seen it try to update again.

Crossing my fingers here...

yeah pretty annoying...consider yourself lucky...I tried it again and same result...updated even with auto update off

bullswife98

Reaction score
My updated gmail works fine with golauncher notifications. I haven't had any problems as mentioned above. And yes its the latest updated version of Gmail.

I also use colorizes Widgets as well.

ROOTED: DROID1
ROM: SIMPLY STUNNING5.4
KERNEL: STOCK/CHEVYNO1 ULV1.0
THEME: THEME CHOOSER/EYE KANDI

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
My updated gmail works fine with golauncher notifications. I haven't had any problems as mentioned above. And yes its the latest updated version of Gmail.

Strange, I know its not only me as there are threads on xda about it, but I don't know why it seems to only affect some people

bullswife98

Reaction score
Not sure either, in fact I was reading other threads when o got notified by my gmail widget that there was already a reply yours so I know its working fine for me. I have mine locked into memory through my rom that I'm on so don't know if that plays into it.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
^you mean you have Gmail locked in memory? I may have to do another wipe and try this

bullswife98

Reaction score
Yep. And again was notified that you also replied, I have the following locked into memory,

Gmail
GoLauncher
Messages (even though I don't use it)
Handcent SMS
Widget Locker (So I still have it when memory is low cuz it is my default lockscreen.)
Setcpu
So I don't know if this set up is what is keeping me from having issues or not but, I'm not changing anything so its staying this way. Lol

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
haha don't blame you...i'll try it out on my end as well