WARNING: Fake "Angry Birds" application on market!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Me and a coworker just noticed this. In the market is an app called "Angry Birds" by the developer "CrazyAndroidApps". This is NOT what you may think.

I believe they are trying to trick people into thinking it is "Angry Birds" by the developer Rovio. Rovio recently announced they were bringing it to Android after being on the iPhone for a long time. Here is their blog post:

Rovio - Blog

If you read the comments for the app, it is $1.99 and is nothing but a picture of a bird. This is obviously an attempt to scam. Luckily we have 48 hours to return it, but I figured I'd warn you all now. We read the reviews first so neither of us bought the app.

Here is the fake app on Androlib: Angry Birds v1.1 Application for Android | Entertainment

Even the icon is similar to Rovio's images. Androlib doesn't show the icon but it does in the Market.

Thanks.

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I noticed that too, but it wasn't just put in after the announcement, it's been in the app store for a while. At least a month because I was playing Angry Birds on my brothers iPhone then did a search to find it on Android. After reading the description: "It's hilarious", I deduced that it was most likely not a game, and that a popular game would have a better description and screenshots.

I don't know if the developer is necessarily trying to rip people off.
1) It doesn't say anything about it being a game, it looks like one of thousands of crap apps that just do something stupid. Like a soundboard, or an airhorn or something. The description says "It's hilarious!". That is it.
2) You can refund your money as soon as you realize it's not a game. I have a hard time believing that if someone bought it thinking it was the game, that they wouldn't at least launch the app once in 24 hours. As soon as they did, they could refund their money.

Still, buyer beware, as the Android Market is full of weird stuff sometimes!

OP
gardobus

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is a chance he isn't trying anything but the fact that it has the same name, has a similar looking bird, and is $2 for a picture makes me think they are trying to pull a fast one.

I do like the markets refund policy though! :D