want new phone, unlimited data plan, sim card size

Montavius

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Like many others, I have Verizon's Unlimited Data Plan (UDP) that I want to keep when getting a new phone. As I understand it, I can purchase for full price a new phone, put my old sim card in it, and the plan stays the same. I hope to buy a used Verizon LG G3 from a private party or local wireless shop, insert the old sim card, and continue with the UDP. My concern is that my old phone is a Motorola Droid 2 Global from 2010. It's 3G and I don't know if the card will fit the LG G3. Do you know if it will fit and if this plan will work? Thoughts? Advice? Thank you.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
SIM cards are free for Verizon customers at any regular Verizon store. If you buy any phone outright just go to your local Verizon store and let them know you need a SIM card for the new phone so you can activate it and it should be no problem. I have done it many times and have never had any issues.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If you're paying full price, there's no need to use your old sim card. Simply tell Verizon you want to keep your UDP, and you're buying your device outright in order to do so....that's what we did.

S5 tap'n

OP
M

Montavius

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Thank you all for the replies. I’ve turned a bit wary of purchasing a used phone. And based on my 6-month historic data usage of less than .50 gig per month (at home I always connect to the wi-fi), BestBuy’s deal looks best. The G3 is $1 with a 2 year contract renewal. I think my Nationwide Talk 450 minute plan stays at $40 monthly and a new 2GB data for $30 monthly. Total monthly bill is $70 plus taxes and fees. Now that you have that info, is there any reason to get a new sim card to put in the phone if I wanted to try to keep the UDP? Also, the Verizon greeter at the store this morning said they do not just give out sim cards without me bringing in the phone. I can bring in a phone and they can activate it for me. Or I can call customer service to have one shipped to me. Should I get one shipped? Thank you again. I’m just trying to crunch the numbers, choose the best alternative, and not wish I’d kept the UDP (if possible).

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you are buying the LG G3 at Best Buy you should not need a SIM card from Verizon. Unless Best Buy doesn't include one with the new phone?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

bigmatt503

Reaction score
A while back Verizon was offering a 6gb plan for 30 bucks to people that were still on udp, that may still be available ☺.
One last bit of advice.. Check prices on swappa, I buy and sell on there often and have had ZERO issues.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

SallyC

Reaction score
A while back Verizon was offering a 6gb plan for 30 bucks to people that were still on udp, that may still be available ☺.
One last bit of advice.. Check prices on swappa, I buy and sell on there often and have had ZERO issues.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Curious if anyone knows if this is a share everything plan where you can add multiple devices for a per device fee or single user only?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

SallyC

Reaction score
I think Verizon has a similar share plan, hopefully one of our Verizon reps (like @jackiescivic )can chime in and verify.
I have UDP but, like the OP don't use much data. But if I could switch to a comparably priced shared plan, perhaps my husband would be interested in getting a smart phone. He won't use much data either and doesn't want to pay much for the options over his non-data phone. I currently pay ~$70/mo and if we could get 3gb for $45 + $20/per phone, that would be tempting.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yep, that's exactly why many of our members have gotten rid of theirs. Hang in their SallyC & someone should be by shortly to confirm.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't get notified of being tagged here. Yes, the Max plan for unlimited data users is still available. $30 gets you 6gb data. The individual $60/$75 plans are no more.
@SallyC your service would be a total of $85/month but if you are getting new phones, you would add whatever payment/month for each phone to the backend of your bill (untaxed)

Sent from my Verizon G4

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Sorry, I did get notified of being tagged here. Yes, the Max plan for unlimited data users is still available. $30 gets you 6gb data. The individual $60/$75 plans are no more.
@SallyC your service would be a total of $85/month but if you are getting new phones, you would add whatever payment/month for each phone to the backend of your bill (untaxed)

Sent from my Verizon G4
Thank you. I will look into this!

ranjanxrkr

Reaction score

Sent from my HTC Desire 516 dual sim