Wall vs USB charging (vs Inductive)

scdown

Reaction score
I'm noticing that, when charging over USB attached to my computer or a high-power port on a hub, the phone charges extremely slowly, in fact giving the impression it's not charging at all (it's taken over 1/2 hour to get from 26% to 32% - that's an 8 hour charge rate, roughly. When I use the included wall charger, it charges in less than half that from a dead battery.

Am I correct to assume that the wall charger is providing a higher power charge than USB, and if so, what if anything should I expect when the inductive charge mats become available?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've always thought my USB charged slower than my wall charger, so I would have to agree with your experience.

I've never used induction charging, but from what I've read it's supposedly equal to wall charging.

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
I'm noticing that, when charging over USB attached to my computer or a high-power port on a hub, the phone charges extremely slowly, in fact giving the impression it's not charging at all (it's taken over 1/2 hour to get from 26% to 32% - that's an 8 hour charge rate, roughly. When I use the included wall charger, it charges in less than half that from a dead battery.

How'd you get it to give battery stats in less than 10% increments? I'd love to be able to see battery at that level.

DiaperDandy

Reaction score

Am I correct to assume that the wall charger is providing a higher power charge than USB, and if so, what if anything should I expect when the inductive charge mats become available?

Couldnt agree more. If you're using the phone, especially on 4G, the USB does little more than hold the charge where it was when you plugged it in.

razingkane

Reaction score
My D2 would only hold a charge if plugged into my computer. However, since the upgrade to 2.3 amongst other nice things 2.3 has brought to the phone.......I've been able to use my laptops usb to actually charge the D2.

dancedroid

GarciaFan

Reaction score
Depending if you have the drivers or not there is a big difference with USB charging. With USB 2.0 a device can only get a 100mA charge rate unless it requests a high power charge rate which requires the USB host controller recognize the device. With a high power rate 500mA is available for charging. If you are using the USB port on a computer it requires drives to request high power. I have also seen some ports integrated on to keyboards and such which are low power devices. Sometimes the ports on these devices are then limited to low power as well. Hope that helps.

esaslaw

Reaction score
On the USB it barely holds the charge, and, in fact, while using the phone it actually drops. This is really not good, for those of us who need to use the phone to get internet on a laptop

esaslaw

Reaction score
Depending if you have the drivers or not there is a big difference with USB charging. With USB 2.0 a device can only get a 100mA charge rate unless it requests a high power charge rate which requires the USB host controller recognize the device. With a high power rate 500mA is available for charging. If you are using the USB port on a computer it requires drives to request high power. I have also seen some ports integrated on to keyboards and such which are low power devices. Sometimes the ports on these devices are then limited to low power as well. Hope that helps.

Is a way you can translate that for the less well versed?

dparm

Reaction score
If you install the Motorola drivers, it will allow the computer to send additional power across the USB cable (5x).

esaslaw

Reaction score
If you install the Motorola drivers, it will allow the computer to send additional power across the USB cable (5x).

Thanks. I think I found what you mean, and will try that today.