waking up your moto droid

gkdroid

Reaction score
Do you always have to press the start button to wake up the phone or can you touch the screen to wake it up. I find it annoying to always turn on the phone to access the touch screen when I am using GPS or to turn on speaker when I am talking to someone.

Any help would greatly be appreciated
thanks
gkdroid

nocoolname

Reaction score
Download screen mode widget from the market. It'll let you change it to what you're wanting.

cpinto

Reaction score
Do you always have to press the start button to wake up the phone or can you touch the screen to wake it up. I find it annoying to always turn on the phone to access the touch screen when I am using GPS or to turn on speaker when I am talking to someone.

Any help would greatly be appreciated
thanks
gkdroid

I have tried some of the apps to control this feature, but I found that the pwr button was the best way (for me) to turn on the screen,

Most of the time, I carry the phone in my pocket. The widget I installed, allowed any press of the other button to turn on the screen. So, the phone screen turning on in my pocket.

I found it was best to stick with the power button. When I pick up the phone, my finger now automatically goes to the button without even thinking about it.

Now, as to the other issue you mentioned. When talking on the phone, it should only be blank when it is near your face. As you move it away, it should come back, on its own. You should not have to push any buttons to do that. If so, either your prox sensor is bad, or you have a finger near the prox sensor.

In my opinion, it's best to always hold the Droid from the bottom half while talking. This keep your fingers away from the prox sensor, uncovers the rear mic sensor, and cups the bottom mic a little to help with call quality.

Call quality is my biggest grip with the Droid, but that's for another thread.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I have tried some of the apps to control this feature, but I found that the pwr button was the best way (for me) to turn on the screen.

When I pick up the phone, my finger now automatically goes to the button without even thinking about it.

Yup cpinto, I agree totally. I tried one of those apps too and had exactly the same problem you mention (accidentally turning on the phone in my pocket). In fact, I now automatically press the button after using anything on the phone before putting it in my pocket or even setting it down. I could be accused of being 'anal' about it - :biggrin:

ilikefishes

Reaction score
I have tried some of the apps to control this feature, but I found that the pwr button was the best way (for me) to turn on the screen.

When I pick up the phone, my finger now automatically goes to the button without even thinking about it.

Yup cpinto, I agree totally. I tried one of those apps too and had exactly the same problem you mention (accidentally turning on the phone in my pocket). In fact, I now automatically press the button after using anything on the phone before putting it in my pocket or even setting it down. I could be accused of being 'anal' about it - :biggrin:

I agree, if you don't turn it off before you put it in your pocket, you might pocket dial someone. And that could be a very bad thing in some instances. I am talking about business, get your minds out of the gutter.;)

Miniblue

Reaction score
Try My Lock You still use the power button, but don't have to swipe. I always push the power button before it goes in my pocket. $ months now and it works every time.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find it annoying to always turn on the phone to access the touch screen when I am using GPS or to turn on speaker when I am talking to someone.
Google Nav should keep the screen active. Are you using another GPS app? There's an option somewhere to keep the screen on if plugged in (plugging in is recommended if you're using the GPS receiver).