wacky signal strength bars

f00f

Reaction score
The "number of bars" (signal strength meter on the status bar) seems to fluctuate rather wildly on the Droid. I'll be in a stationary location with 4 bars, then it'll drop to zero bars and back up to 4 again. The fluctuations appear to coincide w/ data transfer such as sending an IM via Google Talk. Is there a technical reason for this (perhaps a characteristic of CDMA?) or is the signal meter just spastic?

mjs31

Reaction score
I don't see that to often, but do realize that bars are not a good measure of signal strength. They are set up by the manufacturer and are not equal across the board. Look in settings and then a about phone. There you will see status I think. Inside there is all your current phone info including signal strength. Probably way off topic from what you are talking about but I always see a lot of bar questions.

OP
F

f00f

Reaction score
Thanks. I understand that the 4-bar meter is only an approximation of the relative strength. I just think it's odd that the value fluctuates from max (4 bars) to min (zero bars) on a whim.

Home->Menu->Settings->About phone->Status->Signal strength gives a numeric value for the strength in dBm. Would be nice if I could get this value on the status bar instead of the silly 4-bar meter. ;-)

ChrisK15

Reaction score
It happens to me and my friend too. We'll have full 3G signal then it'll drop to zero for a couple seconds, but won't actually go to 1x. It goes right back though.