VZW's Skype Application available March 25th.

myz06vette

Reaction score

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I have not loaded the app yet, based upon this review and what I have read Im not sure I will yet. First, the fact that you cant use it over wifi is the most limiting to me. I would want to use WIFI when out of the country (somewhere without a CDMA network), and when inside buildings that do not have good cellular reception (or for that matter, anywhere that doesnt have good cell reception, but does have a wifi hotspot - there are plenty).

Based upon the video review, looks like its also not quite ready for primetime yet. I would think that it will get better, maybe even quickly, but Im not in the mood to be the tester for it.

I use Fring today... does ok, and does allow usage of wifi. Also has Skype out enabled, although I havent tested it. Big picture, Im not sure I know what the Skype app gives me that Fring does not...

jc

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Well, I downloaded it, tried it... got a cal from MileHighJC, but I could not call him, go figure! Agree with MHJC, think I will use Fring for now.

Aiesline

Reaction score
Okay, here is the quick and dirty about this app.

It only works for skype to skype calls or international calls.

You CAN NOT call US landlines or cell numbers with this app. It will just bill you normal minutes that way and you might as well dial direct

If you call international landlines or cell numbers, you must have a skype subscription or skype credits.

It will not work on WIFI. It will only work on Verizon's 3 g network.

Skype calls and skype made international calls will show up on your "minutes of usage" list as a skype call made to 4049418602 (or similar number) for 0 minutes of use.

It will not work outside of the US

Skype international calling subscriptions WILL WORK. This is especially handy if you make frequent calls to the same country or countries. For example, I now can make unlimited calls to Canada for $3 a month. You can find the subscriptions here

You can't make free calls to "Skype numbers". They will be billed as a normal call to a US landlines.

It's a useful tool. If you make a lot of international calls it can save you a fortune.

I think that about covers it.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I think its completely redundant and a non starter: At the risk of being mistaken (would not be first time)...

Fring :
Works for almost any call - domestic or international fring to fring, and using skype out can call any mobile or landline number domestic or international. It will use VOIP for all of them.

Uses WIFI or 3G. My limited experience says that the quality over 3G is pretty questionable however, with lots of noise and dropouts.

I think it SHOULD work outside US, but I was not able to get it to work in London, however I think that was a limitation of the WIFI connection I was using. Text messages worked, but calls would not.

There are other tools as well, and reading here might lead you to believe that Fring is not the strongest offering, however it is the one I have some experience with.

Im pretty underwhelmed with the Droid Skype offering - doesnt do what I need (use WIFI, allowing calls VOIP when there is not 3G service). If I have 3G service, what do I need it for???? I can just call using my minutes (I dont come anywhere close to using my allotment, and I dont make a lot of international calls (none so far)).

Again, just my .02... YMMV

jc

ms.droid

Reaction score
Skype App Question

okay.. soo..

I wanted to know if it would be possible to use my skype account ( using the app of course) on my smartphone as my main line to talk??

I realize that I would need wifi in order to use the skype but I want to lower my cell phone plan bill ( t-mobile) and not use as many minutes.

Would this be possible? What if I rooted my phone would that help with the wifi issue? Cause it isn't possible to always be connected to wifi for me.. Would Google Talk be a viable option?

I hope this makes sense, thank you in adavance! :D

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Think MileHighJC netted it out pretty well. The new Verizon Skype app makes you disable wifi so, that is not an option. It makes you use 3G (not sure about whether is uses you allowable minutes... keep hearing different things on that).

I have not had great experience using Fring over-seas either. I tried it in Paris and could not make a connection. I left the phone is airplane mode so 3G was off (don't work in Europe anyway). I am going to 86 the Verizon Skype and use the standard version with Fring and will try again. Heading to the UK in a couple of weeks, stay tuned!

May be other options out there as folks are always getting creative. Verizon is just trying to protect their usage.

snowman

Reaction score
ms.droid, sorry no you can't it uses minutes aganist you pagkage plan it tells you this on the install, only skype to skype is free and only in US.
thats why none of us like it it's useless, if you could use it on wireless you would be able to but they made it so you can't use it wireless

ms.droid

Reaction score
Skype app & other stuff

Thank you ALL for your replies...

that kinda sucks about not being able to use it on wifi or even use it to call landlines. Jeez not really any use for it :(

well... hit me up if any of you have any other great ideas :)

not to mention, I have tmobile and I don't believe they've "unlocked" the 3G network in order to use it like Verizon is allowing it's peeps too..