VZW's Skype Application available March 25th.

OBXDroid

Reaction score
Someone asked if anyone was able to call Skype to Skype overseas.
I was able to both make and receive calls successfully between myself and someone on a ship in the middle of the Indian Ocean so I think that qualifies.

Also we tested to see what happened when I don't answer the phone. He was able to leave me a voicemail on my Verizon vm.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Someone asked if anyone was able to call Skype to Skype overseas.
I was able to both make and receive calls successfully between myself and someone on a ship in the middle of the Indian Ocean so I think that qualifies.

Also we tested to see what happened when I don't answer the phone. He was able to leave me a voicemail on my Verizon vm.

Good to hear that it works for overseas communication. Skype to Skype is a great feature for this app and prob. the only good one other than the international skype to skype which well i consider to be the same thing.

nphil

Reaction score
Well now we know why Verizon stated skype-skype calls wouldn't count towards your monthly allowance. I was puzzled when I heard that, since I assumed voice calls were routed directly over a data connection. Everything makes sense now.

Also, boo for not being able to make skype-skype calls when in an area with no coverage or when overseas.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Well now we know why Verizon stated skype-skype calls wouldn't count towards your monthly allowance. I was puzzled when I heard that, since I assumed voice calls were routed directly over a data connection. Everything makes sense now.

Also, boo for not being able to make skype-skype calls when in an area with no coverage or when overseas.

When over seas and trying to use the droid just go with the Gizmo5/Sipdroid/ and Google Voice way I stated way back in the beginning of this thread :) its free and runs off wifi, or use fring and skype call out as someone else mentioned a few posts back.

Rasjudah

Reaction score
I can not believe my plan minutes are being charged when i use skype to skype !!

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

I can not believe my plan minutes are being charged when i use skype to skype !!

Skype to Skype should not be charging your plan minutes that feature is the free feature, if you call a land line or anything other than a skype number that is when you will be charged.

Rasjudah

Reaction score

Skype to Skype should not be charging your plan minutes that feature is the free feature, if you call a land line or anything other than a skype number that is when you will be charged.

Thats the issue i have it should not be charging my minutes but it is :icon_eek:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Thats the issue i have it shou;d not be charging my minutes but it is :icon_eek:

I'll test it after work later on tonight and let you know if noone else says diff by than.

nphil

Reaction score

When over seas and trying to use the droid just go with the Gizmo5/Sipdroid/ and Google Voice way I stated way back in the beginning of this thread :) its free and runs off wifi, or use fring and skype call out as someone else mentioned a few posts back.

fring sucks, sipdroid is actually quite awesome in conjunction with google voice+sipgate+sipsorcery. I really just wanted a skype that works the same damn way as the desktop skype, but oh well.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

fring sucks, sipdroid is actually quite awesome in conjunction with google voice+sipgate+sipsorcery. I really just wanted a skype that works the same damn way as the desktop skype, but oh well.

I hear ya but verizons gotta make their money right? lol.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You certainly shouldn't have been charged minutes on your Verizon plan if you're using a skype to skype connection.

I got to be honest, and please don't take offense. I think it's more likely user error, BUT lets see what others say.:)

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Thats the issue i have it should not be charging my minutes but it is :icon_eek:

Tested it, not sure how you checked your balance was higher, i just checked my current balance called another skype account that i have at home was connected for 5 mins and see no diff on my online vzw account.

Rasjudah

Reaction score
You certainly shouldn't have been charged minutes on your Verizon plan if you're using a skype to skype connection.

I got to be honest, and please don't take offense. I think it's more likely user error, BUT lets see what others say.:)

I hope its user error too :) . I downloaded the skype app, signed in and called one contact i already have on my contact list. During the call it even stated that i was skype calling with the 404 skype number. Before making the call i made sure i had not made any other calls, checked minutes before using sype to skype (i was at 360 min used). After making the skype to skype calling i now have 387 min used. I hope there is an error with Verizon minute counter or something .......
I am using the verizon app to check minute usage if that helps.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

I hope its user error too :) . I downloaded the skype app, signed in and called one contact i already have on my contact list. During the call it even stated that i was skype calling with the 404 skype number. Before making the call i made sure i had not made any other calls, checked minutes before using sype to skype (i was at 360 min used). After making the skype to skype calling i now have 387 min used. I hope there is an error with Verizon minute counter or something .......
I am using the verizon app to check minute usage if that helps.

Rasjudah maybe we should try to keep this convo in just one thread ;) since its going in 2 i feel the need to repeat everything i say in one thread on another and its kind of point less ;)