VZW reped forced factory reset, now all files from SD card are lost

yiannis

Reaction score
Tier 2 support forced me to do factory reset in case 5.9.902 had not installed properly and was causing data connectivity problems. He suggested to pull the SD card while the phone was performing the factory reset which I did. Now all the media files and photos from the SD card are missing. Any idea on whether I can recover them? What software would you use?

Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Tier 2 support forced me to do factory reset in case 5.9.902 had not installed properly and was causing data connectivity problems. He suggested to pull the SD card while the phone was performing the factory reset which I did. Now all the media files and photos from the SD card are missing. Any idea on whether I can recover them? What software would you use?

Thanks

R-studio is what I use. It recovers everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you pulled the SDCard before the factory reset how could the media files be erased?... I'm sure it is on your sdcard somewhere....it has to be.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
if you pulled the SDCard before the factory reset how could the media files be erased?... I'm sure it is on your sdcard somewhere....it has to be.

Well the programs aren't finding the music or the images. I have tried undelete plus now I'll try R-studio. I still have the music on my desktop, but the images of a few years are not been detected by the camera (stock and FX) software.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
It sounds to me like this is a case of confusing /sdcard with /sdcard-ext. If the files you're now looking for were is /sdcard, physically removing the card did nothing to protect them, as the removable card is mounted as /sdcard-ext.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wow that would suck if you somehow stored all of your media and photos on your internal SDCard partition... remember to store all your media and photos on your SDCard-Ext.....

That being said, doing a factory reset shouldn't wipe your SDCard partition afaik...... I've tested factory resets a couple of times and never lost the data off my internal storage partition...not that I recall./..

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the programs aren't finding the music or the images. I have tried undelete plus now I'll try R-studio. I still have the music on my desktop, but the images of a few years are not been detected by the camera (stock and FX) software.

Have you tried looking for them with either a file manger app (like Astro) or connecting your phone to your computer?

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Wow that would suck if you somehow stored all of your media and photos on your internal SDCard partition... remember to store all your media and photos on your SDCard-Ext.....

That being said, doing a factory reset shouldn't wipe your SDCard partition afaik...... I've tested factory resets a couple of times and never lost the data off my internal storage partition...not that I recall./..

It wont wipe the partition, but pulling the sd card during a factory reset could cause the data to become corrupt. Doesn't surprise me they would tell you to do something stupid like that though.