VZW Account - Lose Unlimited?

Red Droid

Reaction score
Grandfathered unlimited data: I had a 3G pcmcia air card from the old 128kbps days just before the switch to 3G. It was started on an unlimited data contract, long before the 5GB caps were put into place. VZW always honored my true unlimited on that line, even through upgrades to a usb aircard after the 5GB cap was placed. Usually ran about 12GB every month.

I bought my first 4G phone with unlimited data in April 2012 and used the free hotspot until July 7th when I added the Unlimited Hotspot package to that line, data usually running 15+GB every month.

I upgraded my Droid X (unlimited 3G phone data, no hotspot) to a Bionic about 3 weeks ago. I kept the unlimited data, it converted to a 4G Unlimited plan with no problem. 3 days later I called VZW and added the unlimited hotspot to this former 3G account, no problem....and finally let my old 3G aircard go.

VZW doesn't seem to be causing the original 4G adopters any problems about their unlimited plans. They are allowing the older 3G unlimited plans to update to 4G unlimited plans as they said would happen.

Based on my previous experience with the aircard, I have no reason to doubt that once on unlimited we'll be grandfathered from here on out.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I moved to an (unlimited) 4G contract a couple of days before my old contract expired. As of right now, my original contract would have been expired for 4 months. And I still have unlimited data.

The VZW rep didn't know what they were talking about. What a surprise.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To the person who took their line off their parents plan, that's called "Assumption of Liability" or at VZW known as "AOL". You are assuming responsibility for the line(s) and nothing else. The contract does not change, so if you had unlimited on your parents plan, then since you did the AOL, nothing should have changed, that's why it was changed back.

If you are on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you are good to go, just don't put a non-smartphone on your line ever again, or you will go to tiered data.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Just to type....if you get a phone w/Best Buy online, they don't give you the option to keep your unlimited

SO....just call Verizon before you do anything and they'll note your account

I did that last night. I could sleep better knowing I wasn't going to lose it...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to type....if you get a phone w/Best Buy online, they don't give you the option to keep your unlimited

SO....just call Verizon before you do anything and they'll note your account

I did that last night. I could sleep better knowing I wasn't going to lose it...
If you have unlimited and also already have a smartphone, upgrading to another smartphone, whether through Best Buy or another retailer should not have changed you to tiered data pricing.

Caesars

Reaction score
Too many unlimiteds in this post/thread, but glad I got an answer lol.