VZ Navigator....why if we have google maps

fishacura

Reaction score
Just clicked on VZ Navigator and realized it's a pay service. Why would anyone use this with the droid 3 if we have google maps navigation for free (well just data use)

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Just a trap to milk more money out of people. Most if not all of the other VZ bloatware apps are like that too in one way or another.

turdbogls

Reaction score
yup,
my mother in law has an inc2, and she was using VZnav for a month before i found out and told her about google nav. some people just dont know, and it is just another way for Vzw to get some more money....pretty sad.

LT*

Reaction score
One thing that really bugs the crap out of me is when pressing a contact pic, the choices that come up (ie phone, text etc) has VZ nav instead of google maps. There's no way to change this other than freezing VZ nav, and I haven't rooted yet. That will be the first app I freeze when I do though.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
One thing that really bugs the crap out of me is when pressing a contact pic, the choices that come up (ie phone, text etc) has VZ nav instead of google maps. There's no way to change this other than freezing VZ nav, and I haven't rooted yet. That will be the first app I freeze when I do though.

That is pretty lame. So if you freeze it then it goes to Google Nav somehow?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, VZ Nav doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps if you have an Android. There was a time with VZ Nav was good - but that was with the Blackberry or dumb phones. I'd be surprised if they eventually didn't charge for VZ Nav.

DaddysDroid

Reaction score

Are sure that if you go to Menu > Location & Security and deselect(uncheck) VZ Nav....that this does not change. Also when you first launch apps, etc that require the use of GPS/location services, usually they ask which one you want to use (Google or VZ) and there's a 'Remember this choice' check box that goes along with it. I am sure there is a way to change that if you mistakenly chose VZ Nav with the 'Remember...' check box clicked. Not sure where to find that though...I am looking now. Will update if I find.

LT*

Reaction score
Are sure that if you go to Menu > Location & Security and deselect(uncheck) VZ Nav....that this does not change. Also when you first launch apps, etc that require the use of GPS/location services, usually they ask which one you want to use (Google or VZ) and there's a 'Remember this choice' check box that goes along with it. I am sure there is a way to change that if you mistakenly chose VZ Nav with the 'Remember...' check box clicked. Not sure where to find that though...I am looking now. Will update if I find.

I never have the VZ option checked, I think it's causing issues with the GPS chip. This isn't an app per say. Launcher pro has the contacts widget, and when I click on a contact, the bar of options just comes up with all the ways I can contact them. VZ nav is the only option for navigation. So, there was no "remember this choice" pop up for it. I've never even opened VZ nav.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
Try going to settings/applications/manage applications/all then scroll down to and tap on vz navigator. See if you can tap "Clear Defaults" or if it says "no defaults set"

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Try going to settings/applications/manage applications/all then scroll down to and tap on vz navigator. See if you can tap "Clear Defaults" or if it says "no defaults set"

No, this "feature" is baked into the OS. Frickin' BS.

EDIT: Apparently not. See below.

Last edited:

AZDroid09

Reaction score
No, this "feature" is baked into the OS. Frickin' BS.

I have those options on my D3 so you should have the same.

Maybe I will reinstall launcher pro and test to see if it's just an issue with their contacts widget. I had the option to choose vz nav or google maps the 1st time I tried to navigate to a contact's address. I chose google and told it to remember. If I go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All and choose Google maps and clear it as default, then I have the choice again between vz nav or gmaps

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I have those options on my D3 so you should have the same.

Maybe I will reinstall launcher pro and test to see if it's just an issue with their contacts widget. I had the option to choose vz nav or google maps the 1st time I tried to navigate to a contact's address. I chose google and told it to remember. If I go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All and choose Google maps and clear it as default, then I have the choice again between vz nav or gmaps

You're right. I stand corrected. What's weird is that if you don't have the default set then the only choice is to go with VZ Nav.

So, on a new phone contacts > click pic of contact with address > shows VZ Nav even though no default is set.

To fix, go contacts > click NAME of contact with address > click address > choose Google Maps as default

Now, when you go phone contacts > click pic > it' shows the Maps icon

I take back what I said about it being built in, although it certainly seems like there is no choice but VZ Nav by default unless you poke around a bit.

Last edited:

AZDroid09

Reaction score
Well glad you found a way, I so wish they would release another plain vanilla Android phone like the original Droid, but if they can add bloatware and snag extra money from folks they will...it's all about the $$$ not the customer!