VZ Navigator/Maps force close

MagicDroid

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm really new to this thing. I just rooted my eris with instructions from TheUnlockr. Everything seems to work fine except for the map in Google Navigator. Whenever i try to type in a location, it force closes after i enter one or two letters/numbers. the same happens in the maps app. is there any fix for this? the navigation works if i speak directions into the microphone, but it'd be nice to be able to type directions, since speech rec. isn't always that accurate.

also, on the website, they've said to redo the process and it should fix the issue, but i tried that, and it still doesn't work.

thanks

ErisDroid?

Reaction score
1st Question: Why would you root then use VZ Navigator?

2nd Question: Why would you use VZ Navigator when Google maps is free and there are free navigators in the Market with spoken turn-by-turn.

Please tell me your not paying $10 a month for VZ Nav. I didn't think it worked on the Eris anyway. Here is my suggestion (since I just gave you a bunch of crap for using VZ Nav) You could use Waze (free), or since your rooted upgrade to the 2.1 root and it comes with Google's navigator. Good luck, and I hope I just saved you $10 per month.

OP
M

MagicDroid

Reaction score
sorry I didn't clarify. I'm on the 2.1 root, i didn't know there was a root for just 1.5. The navigator works if i can get the address in some other way, I just can't type it in or it'll force close. It's been working if i use the speech function (i.e. saying "directions to _________) but it'd be nice if i could just type in where I wanted to go. is there any fix for it? (aside from using a custom rom)

ErisDroid?

Reaction score
Both 2.1 and 1.5 have been rooted. And I don't believe there is a fix for VZNav. at this time. I would say call VZW but they probably wouldn't be able to help, since you're running a leaked rom.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
May I ask where you got the apk for the VZ nav??? Thanks

It's from Verizon. If it's from anyplace else then no, you are not allowed to ask where you get paid .apk in this forum.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum, please lets not get started off on the wrong foot.

bbeelzebub

Reaction score
May I ask where you got the apk for the VZ nav??? Thanks

It's from Verizon. If it's from anyplace else then no, you are not allowed to ask where you get paid .apk in this forum.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum, please lets not get started off on the wrong foot.

I appreciate you letting me know the rule. For the record, the only Android phone that runs this app is the Devour, so if it were installed on any other phone, guess what... it wasn't from Verizon. LOL. Anyhow. Thanks for letting me know the rule.

OP
M

MagicDroid

Reaction score
sorry for not being clear, or correct in my first post. I've been using Google nav, not VZ Nav.

deano131

Reaction score
I had the same problem with google maps when I rooted to Garlocks ? (sp) version of root 2.1. The only way I could find a location using the map was to do a search not direction lookup. I also was unable to update to googles map 4.1.1. The markets would tell me there was an update availiable but when I would try and download it, it wouldn not download. As well I had some other force cloase issues. So I changed to this root Eris_Official_0.8.1T2. I think it is ivens ?(sp). Since the change I have had no force closes except if I do a system update request, but as I recall this was disabled to prevent an accidental OTA non root update. I was able to update to google map 4.1.1. I had no force closes with either version of google map doing a direction lookup with this rooted 2.1. The rooted version I am using now works for me and I am very happy with it. My phone was very stable on the stock 1.5 os with this version of rooted 2.1 my phone is as stable as the 1.5 os.

deano131

Reaction score
I am no expert! I don't believe you have to remove the old PB00IMG ROM from the Sd card but if it was me I would.

Keep in mind this will remove your current apps and any setup you have done. So once you do this you will have to setup your phone all over again. Email account(s), secure wifi connections, contacts, calenders and ect. Make sure you BACKUP these things!!!

Install the new 0.8.1T2 ROM on your SD card like you did the other ROM. Boot the phone pushing the volume up and the power on button at the same time. If you have the recovery system installed it will boot to that. 1st backup your phone Backup/Restore. This way if you don't like the change you can just reboot to the recovery system and restore back to where your where before the change. Once you do that you should wipe the phone. Wipe Data/factory and then Delvik-cache. Once that is done you go back to the main recovery system screen and Flash Zip from sdcard. At this time if you left the old PB00IMG just select the new Eris_0.8.1T2 ROM. Wait to complete. good luck!