VPN software to connect to a Remote Access Server

droidghost

Reaction score
I have a Galaxy S2 from Virgin Mobile. My home network is Windows Server 2012. I'm using RAS to connect to my home network from other locations on a Windows 8 laptop. I have several SharePoint sites within my home network that I'd like to test from my phone. Most of the software I find on Google Play when searching VPN is to mask my browsing history or act as a proxy server. I'd like to VPN into my network from my phone.

I also have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wi-fi router, but I'd rather only use that if it's my only option. Doing some searches seems to say that Android is not supported for that router anyway.

What free or paid software can I use that doesn't require my phone being rooted?

If my only option is to root, what's the best ROM for my phone?

Then..

What free or paid software is best for a rooted phone?

Thanks!

P

promo87

Hmm.... try using DroidVPN ! I am sure that could help you in a good way .... :)

OP
D

droidghost

Reaction score
I found that using the native VPN client on Android is sufficient for this (I have 4.1.2). From the home screen, hit menu, settings, more settings, VPN, Add VPN network, put in the host name / ip address of your RAS. Default is PPTP, which worked for me, you will be prompted to enter your domain credentials.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I use the built in VPN client as well. Both my work router and home router support PPP connections direct to the router.

It supports IPSEC and LT2P.

P

promo87

I found that using the native VPN client on Android is sufficient for this (I have 4.1.2). From the home screen, hit menu, settings, more settings, VPN, Add VPN network, put in the host name / ip address of your RAS. Default is PPTP, which worked for me, you will be prompted to enter your domain credentials.

Oh... yes I almost forget about it ! Actually I haven't tried using the native VPN service. ;)