vPhone Now Official In Verizon's Eyes

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
vphone.jpg
Remember CES of 2009? There was a phone that was supposed to change the industry with its great features? The phone was supposed to be released in 2010. That phone is finally coming our way, but it’s just a bit too late. The vPhone, that won an award for its incredible keyboard, is finally coming to Verizon soon, according to the certification page.
This phone is over 2 years old now, and looking at its specifications, you can tell easily:
  • 3.5" 800x480 screen
  • 'Best in class' slide-out keyboard
  • 806Mhz processor
  • 256MB SDRAM
  • 512MB Flash
  • "Android OS" - Though the version number isn't listed in this release, the last known version it ran was 2.2 aka Froyo.
  • 5MP rear camera with VGA front-facing camera
  • USB host port
  • USB modem capable
  • ODI Certification (No Verizon crap-ware)
This phone is behind the competition by far, but perhaps it can make some first time smartphone user happy with the great keyboard and video calling features.
Via: Androidcentral
http://www.androidcentral.com/saygus-vphone-receives-verizon-certification

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Looks too much like a droid...I like it though...just not the specs.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Would it have hurt to have given it 512mb of ram instead of only 256? It sounds like a D1, apparently only restyled to resemble the D3 slightly.

spillner

Reaction score
Unless this phone was sold for about $100 or less I can't see why anyone would buy this over a D3. A rooted D1 blows this outta the water.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Man, this phone SUCKS. LOL, why even release this??? I guess this is for the folks out there (and there are many of them) who don't really pay attention to specs.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Bored

It seems some people think this phone isn't even worth being announced. I agree, I may never take a second look at one of these because I want to upgrade to a much more powerful phone than I actually need, which isn't this >:]

However this is a Droid related forum, so we have to take the good with the bad, all Droids considered.

Let's look at some positives about this phone, since everyone keeps finding negatives to post about. lol..

* Assuming it's being sold as a less expensive but full featured Android phone:
* Less expensive replacement to someone's non-insured phone lost/damaged
* Downgrades are better than no phone at all if you're low on cash.

So if you don't lust HDMI mini out ports, 3D gimmicks with two cameras on the back of one phone, and other cool factors, then this phone could be priced fairly for someone new to Android.

Someone mentioned it looks too much like a Droid. I'm not sure how much you can change a full touch screen phone to not look like another full touchscreen.

In response to someone else... D1 doesn't blow this out of the water. vPhone has a faster processor and a front-facing camera, D1 doesn't and won't have those and I personally want those features. Anyway you can't buy D1 from VZW anymore and buying used phones has risks.

Have faith! This is Android OS and we have the top ROM developers posting on our forums, making their ROMs compatible with multiple phones. Who's to say this phone won't eventually be rootable?

UNC

Reaction score
I always thought the vPhone was Verizon's iPhone... That's long been what I called it...

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
It seems some people think this phone isn't even worth being announced. I agree, I may never take a second look at one of these because I want to upgrade to a much more powerful phone than I actually need, which isn't this >:]

However this is a Droid related forum, so we have to take the good with the bad, all Droids considered.

Let's look at some positives about this phone, since everyone keeps finding negatives to post about. lol..

* Assuming it's being sold as a less expensive but full featured Android phone:
* Less expensive replacement to someone's non-insured phone lost/damaged
* Downgrades are better than no phone at all if you're low on cash.

So if you don't lust HDMI mini out ports, 3D gimmicks with two cameras on the back of one phone, and other cool factors, then this phone could be priced fairly for someone new to Android.

Someone mentioned it looks too much like a Droid. I'm not sure how much you can change a full touch screen phone to not look like another full touchscreen.

In response to someone else... D1 doesn't blow this out of the water. vPhone has a faster processor and a front-facing camera, D1 doesn't and won't have those and I personally want those features. Anyway you can't buy D1 from VZW anymore and buying used phones has risks.

Have faith! This is Android OS and we have the top ROM developers posting on our forums, making their ROMs compatible with multiple phones. Who's to say this phone won't eventually be rootable?

I agree, I could see this being the "new" Eris (actually better though for around the same price). It's for all those people that don't want all the glitz and glamour, just a simple Android running device that get's the job done without all the frills.