Vortex, XP, and Tethering

Siggy62

Reaction score
I can't get my vortex to tether with my Dell 630. What are the drivers I need to use????
I'm running windows XP.

OP
S

Siggy62

Reaction score
Uh Oh

Thanks, but I downloaded the driver you suggested, the computer still says it can not find the required driver. So, I still can not tether to my computer running XP.

Hiker5208

Reaction score
My bad... Those are the usb drivers. I believe to tether you either have to pay Verizon to turn it on or use one of the programs like EasyTether or PDAnet which cand be picked up off the Market. They both have test drive periods so you can try them out. I use PDA net and it seems to work fine.

Thanks, but I downloaded the driver you suggested, the computer still says it can not find the required driver. So, I still can not tether to my computer running XP.

OP
S

Siggy62

Reaction score
Disapointed

I can tether just fine with my Windows 7 laptop, but the XP does not work. I tried PDA Net, and it still could not find the driver. With windows 7 it worked with no downloads or anything.

My bad... Those are the usb drivers. I believe to tether you either have to pay Verizon to turn it on or use one of the programs like EasyTether or PDAnet which cand be picked up off the Market. They both have test drive periods so you can try them out. I use PDA net and it seems to work fine.

hedio82

Reaction score
having same prob. trying easytether now. fingers crossed!

dogredwingz

Reaction score
If your phone is rooted yo can use wireless tether for rooted user. It works great for plus it free

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums

Hiker5208

Reaction score
I really don't gain anything personally by rooting. I have pdanet for the rare occasions I need to use my phone as a modem and have never had an occasion where I could have even had a use for wireless tether should I need it.

Due to a combination of things with the Vortex, I got Verizon to swap me out for a Droid X that is in the mail now. They messed up telling me what the Vortex would and would not do so I finally got it worked out to get a phone that will. I am not one of those guys who will try to get a free upgrade just because I can, but I am filing for disability and have no extra income right now. I would not have taken the Vortex had my questions on capabilities been answered properly. I worked in IT for 20 years and spec'd phones for company use so I am quite aware of what my needs are. I asked the right questions and got the wrong answers from a Verizon rep when I added the line. They are making it right, so cool.

If your phone is rooted yo can use wireless tether for rooted user. It works great for plus it free

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums

Mickey12gauge

Reaction score

Hmm... I don't seem to have PDAnet as an option nor Wireless Tether in the market.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Hiker5208

Reaction score
You won't anymore... Verizon is blocking PDAnet and similar apps from the market now. Just started about a week ago. You can go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group and download the trial of the android app from there and purchase on their site. You install from the computer and it loads the app on the phone during the install. Not hard to do.

Version 3.0 hides usage somehow if you click the checkmark for it. I did, but I can't really speak to that as I only use it when I don't have another choice anyhow. A company I used to work for bought it for me after it saved the day on a driver install at a location that did not have internet access. I guess he figured it was worth that at least. It does work fine though!

Hmm... I don't seem to have PDAnet as an option nor Wireless Tether in the market.

Mickey12gauge

Reaction score
You won't anymore... Verizon is blocking PDAnet and similar apps from the market now. Just started about a week ago. You can go to June Fabrics PDA Technology Group and download the trial of the android app from there and purchase on their site. You install from the computer and it loads the app on the phone during the install. Not hard to do.

Version 3.0 hides usage somehow if you click the checkmark for it. I did, but I can't really speak to that as I only use it when I don't have another choice anyhow. A company I used to work for bought it for me after it saved the day on a driver install at a location that did not have internet access. I guess he figured it was worth that at least. It does work fine though!

Many thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home.