Voodoo discussion

mrdroid

Reaction score
To avoid derailing other threads further I'll start the topic for discussion of Voodoo.

Some feel that Voodoo provides great improvements in performance.

I personally have used a few different Fascinate and experimented with older and current versions of Voodoo. Granted there were A LOT more issues with the older version I feel it should be highly advised against using even the current version...

Obviously feel free to share your experience. And I'd love to see someone who knows more than I do explain why there are so many issues on the Fascinate that we aren't seeing on other devices.

danwanna

Reaction score
I can't say that I know more about Voodoo than you do (I enjoyed typing that) but things have been very stable for me with JT's latest Voodoo5 Kernel. I was initially scared off by the problem reports as well, but I eventually tried it because of the horrible performance of Touchdown on my Fascinate. I've used it on an D1, D2 and now the Fascinate and both of the Droids performed much better. After installing the Voodoo5 lagfix, Touchdown on my Fascinate is as fast or faster than it is on the Droids.

I also feel that TweetDeck performs much better with Voodoo5 installed and enabled but I didn't spend nearly as much time comparing them as I did with Touchdown.

My recommendation is to stick with the standard non-voodoo kernels unless you are experiencing a specific problem.

boostedjti

Reaction score
I can't say that I know more about Voodoo than you do (I enjoyed typing that) but things have been very stable for me with JT's latest Voodoo5 Kernel. I was initially scared off by the problem reports as well, but I eventually tried it because of the horrible performance of Touchdown on my Fascinate. I've used it on an D1, D2 and now the Fascinate and both of the Droids performed much better. After installing the Voodoo5 lagfix, Touchdown on my Fascinate is as fast or faster than it is on the Droids.

I also feel that TweetDeck performs much better with Voodoo5 installed and enabled but I didn't spend nearly as much time comparing them as I did with Touchdown.

My recommendation is to stick with the standard non-voodoo kernels unless you are experiencing a specific problem.

Were you running a custom rom/kernel before voodoo5?

For all intensive purposes I'm willing to try voodoo5 but I honestly see no need other than quadrant scores...

danwanna

Reaction score
I tried several of Geeknik's Stupid Fast Kernels as well as JT's non-voodoo kernels and they all worked well for most things. It was really Touchdown that pushed me down the voodoo path.

I'm with you though, I have no interest in quadrant scores and prefer to look at the real world usage of the phone. For me a big part of my usage is my work email that syncs through exchange. I don't know if it is due to the amount of mail I get or just something with how Touchdown reads and writes data, but the voodoo kernels helped a lot.

boostedjti

Reaction score
How's the battery life? I'm lucky to squeeze 14 hours out of my setup.

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
I haven't used touchdown since I moved all my mailboxes from Exchange to Gmail Business (which was about 3 months ago); so I've just been using the native Gmail client. Just running the stock OS with apps frozen via TiBackup and Geeknik's kernal I haven't hit any hiccups yet.

I can see if you're in a situation like danwanna and have a specific task that just doesn't perform well to give it a shot as long as you're willing to take the risk. I think I'd also try to contact the dev's who made Touchdown though and let them know of the poor performance.

boostedjti

Reaction score
So I just took the plunge and went to voodoo. At first I didn't see much difference. The phone was slightly smoother than on my oc'd stupidfast kernel with the superdark rom.

I was having some serious lag when trying to run a few specific apps, like the camera. Loading it took forever, as did viewing photos from the camera (not using gallery). After voodoo it is much quicker and smoother.

Gonna see how this goes for a while.

zombie1991

Reaction score

I'm using SuperDarkDJO5 ROM and JT's 12/30 test kernel(which I got off of ROM Manager and PRESUME is non voodoo since it didn't say it was). I EASILY get well over 24 hours of charge if not more. I play me some Angry Birds at work while waiting for my printers to finish. After a 9 hour shift, playing AB, checking FB and Emails, texting every now and then, sometimes even watching a movie over the course of a day, and browsing web sites at lunch, this is the best combo so far for me.

I plug in at night before going to bed with around 40% or more of battery.

boostedjti

Reaction score

I'm using SuperDarkDJO5 ROM and JT's 12/30 test kernel(which I got off of ROM Manager and PRESUME is non voodoo since it didn't say it was). I EASILY get well over 24 hours of charge if not more. I play me some Angry Birds at work while waiting for my printers to finish. After a 9 hour shift, playing AB, checking FB and Emails, texting every now and then, sometimes even watching a movie over the course of a day, and browsing web sites at lunch, this is the best combo so far for me.

After 13 hours of pretty heavy use yesterday my phone was at 8%... starting to think the culprit is my battery.

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score

The one test by adrenyl and Jr or the one only by jt

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

zombie1991

Reaction score
Jts 12/30 test. Not adrynalyns.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
okay can someone help me hey guys my bad to start i tried switching my kernal to stupid fast because i heard the battery was better than voodoo and i have a voodoo kernal on now since i am stuck at samsung screen i attempted to put the disable_lagfix folder on my sd card by taking out the sd card and making it and with it on i tried to install a non voodoo kernal but i get "failure at line 2: copy_di" when trying so any help is appreciated

boostedjti

Reaction score
okay can someone help me hey guys my bad to start i tried switching my kernal to stupid fast because i heard the battery was better than voodoo and i have a voodoo kernal on now since i am stuck at samsung screen i attempted to put the disable_lagfix folder on my sd card by taking out the sd card and making it and with it on i tried to install a non voodoo kernal but i get "failure at line 2: copy_di" when trying so any help is appreciated

Does your phone work with a voodoo kernel?