Volume buttons during call

scf

Reaction score
So, sometimes I need to alter the volume of the handset speaker while in a call (not on speakerphone). I can't do it while the phone is 'blacked out" in the middle of a call. Tried adjusting while still holding to my ear, won't. When I take the phone away, and the proximity sensor turns the phone display back on, I can adjust it all I want.

Ideas?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So the volume rockers don't work when you're on a call??

DroidForums junkie!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Hmmmmf...I am at a loss on this one, as I am perfectly able to adjust the in-call volume on my DX while holding it to my head...:icon_eek:

OP
scf

scf

Reaction score

DroidForums junkie!
Exactly, but only if it's while I'm holding it do my head, and the screen is black. Once the screen comes back, even if the call is still in progress, I can change the volume. odd.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

DroidForums junkie!
Exactly, but only if it's while I'm holding it do my head, and the screen is black. Once the screen comes back, even if the call is still in progress, I can change the volume. odd.
Ok, just did a test to make sure I wasnt losing my mind...and here is what I found...

In call with the phone to my head in a normal phone calling position, I can adjust the volume UP...but not DOWN. Wherever the volume is set to previous to the call being made is being registered as the default LOW setting by the phone, and will not allow it to go lower. But, since it is the "default" lowest setting with room to go higher, the phone will allow the volume to increase to the MAX Setting.

Now, this is 100% abcked up by my non-scientific testing, which is backed up by my Rocko-Socko University degree in Cell Phone Research...take it for what its worth...:biggrin:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm...never heard of this issue, even from customers. I'm going to text a coworker and see if his does this too! Brb...

DroidForums junkie!

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This has been driving me nuts too. I thought I was just going crazy. But having to move the phone away from my ear to turn the volume down is inconvenient because I possibly miss some of the conversation.

csimo

Reaction score
Yes, this is on every Droid X I've used (5 of them) since 2.2. While holding the phone to your ear you can increase the volume, but not decrease it. To decrease volume you have to hold the phone away from your ear.

I talked to Verizon and they said it was on "the list" of problems with the Droid X, but nobody knows what that means. It even happened on the phone at the Verizon store.

I know it's not a problem with generic 2.2 since the Droid 1 doesn't have the problem, so it's probably just another bonus of having Blur.

-Joe

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Yes, this is on every Droid X I've used (5 of them) since 2.2. While holding the phone to your ear you can increase the volume, but not decrease it. To decrease volume you have to hold the phone away from your ear.

I talked to Verizon and they said it was on "the list" of problems with the Droid X, but nobody knows what that means. It even happened on the phone at the Verizon store.

I know it's not a problem with generic 2.2 since the Droid 1 doesn't have the problem, so it's probably just another bonus of having Blur.

-Joe
Well, this backs up what I theorized in my other post...you can go to Full Volume, but not Decrease Fully while in call with the phone to your ear. I just tried testing again, and I was able to Decrease to Full Low Volume, but I had to do it with "clicking" the volume rocker each time, not just holding it down....still doesnt seem "quite right"...but it did work.