VOIP Applications, i.e. Sipdroid

mike

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with VOIP applications for Android? iSkoot for Skype is sort of a VOIP app but the calls you make with it are routed over the voice network and use your plan minutes.

I just read about Sipdroid for the first time here sipdroid - Project Hosting on SIP/VoIP client for Android.

It looks like this app will let you make calls on WIFI and 3G. I will definitely be checking this out, although I highly doubt Verizon would let something like this run on one of their phones.

dean.collins

Reaction score
have to

They have to let it run, Verizon have convinced people they want to run an 'open network' any device any application.

If they block voip applications there will be hell to pay.

I run an asterisk server at home so in about a week i'll be able to let you know if they are blocking SIP or IAX ports.

wscato

Reaction score
Got mine working too. Thanks for the link to the instructions.

boynas

Reaction score
Working but...

Mine is working with my own sip server... BUT... when I make a call through sip, for some reason I loose the 3G connection logo, and gets replaced by the 1X one...

They might be doing some port prioritization, QoS or something based on the ports???

Can anybody post comments?

Chigga311

Reaction score
So this will allow you to make calls on a Wifi network via your Droid.

But will this also allow you to make calls using the Verizon 3G Data connection?

Taken from the Android Community link above:

"If you download sipdroid from the google code site and not the android market, then you can make calls on 3G/Edge in addition to wifi.

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/"

Does this apply to Verizon Droid users too??
I currently have Google Voice from the Android market on my phone.

I'm very interested in this because I have the 450min plan and I'm about to cancel my Unltd Text plan soon. I don't have the 5 Favorite friends plan which is only on 900min and up.

I don't use the phone that much to switch to the 900 F&F plan.
Some months I may peek over 450 but not by huge amounts, but that is with the Free Verizon to Verizon calls. Mostly my family have VZW and a couple friends.

thundercats

Reaction score
So this will allow you to make calls on a Wifi network via your Droid.

But will this also allow you to make calls using the Verizon 3G Data connection?

Taken from the Android Community link above:

"If you download sipdroid from the google code site and not the android market, then you can make calls on 3G/Edge in addition to wifi.

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/"

Does this apply to Verizon Droid users too??
I currently have Google Voice from the Android market on my phone.

I'm very interested in this because I have the 450min plan and I'm about to cancel my Unltd Text plan soon. I don't have the 5 Favorite friends plan which is only on 900min and up.

I don't use the phone that much to switch to the 900 F&F plan.
Some months I may peek over 450 but not by huge amounts, but that is with the Free Verizon to Verizon calls. Mostly my family have VZW and a couple friends.

Yep SipDroid does work on the Motorola Droid. Made a few VOIP phone calls last night over my wifi =)

Chigga311

Reaction score
Can you make VOIP calls via the Verizon 3G network?

Or do I have to be in a Wifi network to use it????

Someone in that link above said you can do both.

adam8ch

Reaction score
Yup mine works w/ 3g and wifi. Its an option under "call options"

Chigga311

Reaction score
Great I'm gonna set this up as soon as I get home today!!!!!

How come everyone isn't running this setup?

You can make calls from your Google Voice+SipDroid to Regular Cell and Landline phones right?

adam8ch

Reaction score
Great I'm gonna set this up as soon as I get home today!!!!!

How come everyone isn't running this setup?

You can make calls from your Google Voice+SipDroid to Regular Cell and Landline phones right?

You can make outgoing calls, but if you're using Gizmo5 you have to pay to do that. However, Gizmo5 allows free incoming calls. So if you use the google voice webpage to make calls they are free, because when you call from the website they call your phone. You just have to set gvoice to forward calls to your Gizmo5 # and not your cell #.

drod910

Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me get this to work. I signed up with pbxes.org and created an acount and an extension. Left the default settings in sipdroid. entered username and password and i keep getting "No suitable network available" - tried wifi and 3G. i guess i'm not understanding how this works at all. A better error message would be helpful. I even uninstalled sipdroid and installed it from the internet and still same results. tried udp isntead of tcp as well.

what am i missing? I see there are "Trunks" and inbound routing and outbound routing...do i need to enter those?

Some guidance would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

adam8ch

Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me get this to work. I signed up with pbxes.org and created an acount and an extension. Left the default settings in sipdroid. entered username and password and i keep getting "No suitable network available" - tried wifi and 3G. i guess i'm not understanding how this works at all. A better error message would be helpful. I even uninstalled sipdroid and installed it from the internet and still same results. tried udp isntead of tcp as well.

what am i missing? I see there are "Trunks" and inbound routing and outbound routing...do i need to enter those?

Some guidance would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

Got it to work w/ Gizmo5 try these instructions: How To: Free Calls via Wifi (using Google Voice & Gizmo5) - Android Community Forums

bikerboy

Reaction score
guys i am lost in here
Just switched from Iphone and can't get any VOIP App to work for me
I used to use skype all the time to talkt o friends over seas now it looks like i can't do that .....
can someone please guide me thro this thing ? any VOIP " free Call " app would work for me , Thanks