Voice search shortcut?

jetnc

Reaction score
I just did a fdr to correct some issues I was having but cant remember how to get my voice search shortcut back.....

Any suggestions?

Not the google search bar widget, just the mic shortcut

Tia
Jet

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Jet, I think with ICS they removed the shortcut... which makes no sense to me. What I did is installed Quick Shortcut Maker from play store. With the app, you can make shortcuts from Android activities such as search. It is pretty self explanatory to use and gives you the option to test what you've created to make sure it is what you need.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
J

jetnc

Reaction score
I know it's there somewhere dang it !!!...lol. I just had it on my home screen 2 hours ago, right before I did the fdr.

I've been looking for it everywhere, I can see it in my apps. For now, I just bound the double tap home screen to voice search. It works, but out of stubbornness I just want the stupid mic icon like I used to have...lol

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Is it the google quick search bar widget? It does the same thing.

OP
J

jetnc

Reaction score
Is it the google quick search bar widget? It does the same thing.

No, not the "google quick search bar" widget, just the microphone icon. I did another search and apparently the same thing has happened to several people. One person was able to go into the apps, disable voice search, re-boot, then enable it and the icon came back in the widget section. They were then able to put it back on the home screen. I tried that but everytime I reboot the app has enabled itself :angry: before I can enable it. Weird glitch....

SallyC

Reaction score
I just did a fdr to correct some issues I was having but cant remember how to get my voice search shortcut back.....

Any suggestions?

Not the google search bar widget, just the mic shortcut

Tia
Jet

It's gone in ICS - but don't worry, there's a workaround.
  1. Download QuickShortcutMaker at Play
  2. Click on the Activities tab
  3. In the Input keyword to filter box put: Voice
  4. Select Voice Search
  5. There's a few Voice Search options, I think you'll want the 2nd one but you can click on Try to try it out.
  6. Rename it or just click OK

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
mysticalmalissa said:
Long press on search (the magnifying glass) and that will bring up voice search.

Isn't this what we're talking about?

Sent from my RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
jetnc said:
I know it's there somewhere dang it !!!...lol. I just had it on my home screen 2 hours ago, right before I did the fdr.

I've been looking for it everywhere, I can see it in my apps. For now, I just bound the double tap home screen to voice search. It works, but out of stubbornness I just want the stupid mic icon like I used to have...lol

The reason you had it before the fdr is because it was left over from when you had gingerbread. It does not exist in ICS unless you go for some of the work arounds suggested.

You may be feeling, "Dang, I shouldn't have done that fdr" but even without a stock voice search shortcut, your phone will run much smoother than it was.

OP
J

jetnc

Reaction score
No, i think the fdr as well as ics were more important than the voice search. I guess i was fixating ...lol

The phone is much better now after the fdr. I was getting fed up with the battery life and it was getting pretty hot after a few minutes.

Thanks gor all the suggestions!