Voice Activated Dialing

onefastford

Reaction score
I can't seem to get my voice activated dialing to work. I launch the the voice recognition (either by mic or long press magnifying glass) and speak "call home" it does a google search on call home? Home is a contact. I speak "call amy rice" it does a google search on call amy rice? Amy Rice is a contact. It doesnt even launch anything to do with the phone? What am i doing wrong or whats up?

Erik

Mark5047

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. The only voice dialer that seems to work reliably is the voice dialer app that came preloaded. Any other voice commands launch in a browser.

Mark5047

Reaction score
I cant even get google to search after my voice command....not even if i tab the glass long...how is that done?

I just long press the magnifying glass in the bottom right of the screen and say "call mom home" and it opens a browser with all the wonderful call mom home search results that you get when you enter the same in google. I have tried using the word dial as well.

ss13

Reaction score
Go to Settings --> Search
You can modify what is searched for.
I hope I am understanding the issue at hand correctly.

xmnj

Reaction score
Your using the wrong app for voice dialing. I was doing the same thing, then noticed there is an app in the Applications folder called Voice Dialer. This app does the voice phone calling.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I guess either I'm lucky or there's some other difference. Note that I've not changed any of the search settings from whatever their default values are. If I:

• Touch the microphone on the home screen
  • Hold the phone next to my mouth
  • Say "Call Marcia" (my wife's name)

It places a call to my wife.

I just tried it and that's exactly what it did.

Mark5047

Reaction score
Go to Settings --> Search
You can modify what is searched for.
I hope I am understanding the issue at hand correctly.

I dont think you are understanding. My selected searchable items are Browser, apps, contacts & music, and all it searches is the browser. Even if I am in the phone app and long press the magnifying glass all it ever searches is via the browser. I can use the voice dialer just fine, but I would think the main search glass would pick up on the keywords like CALL, DIAL, & NAVIGATE and search accordingly. Some people this seems to be working just fine for, and others not so much.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
but I would think the main search glass would pick up on the keywords like CALL, DIAL, & NAVIGATE and search accordingly. Some people this seems to be working just fine for, and others not so much.

This appears to be exactly the behavior I am getting. If I say "navigate" and use an unambiguous name or address, navigator does a route to there. If I say "mexican restaurant" it googles for mexican restaurants and displays ones that are near where I am (is there any such thing as a town in the U.S that doesn't have a mexican restaurant?). If I say "call foo", if there's a "foo" in my contacts it dials them. If not, it opens the browser with a search for "foo".

I've no idea why some would see this behavior and some wouldn't. Glad I do though :D

Mark5047

Reaction score
but I would think the main search glass would pick up on the keywords like CALL, DIAL, & NAVIGATE and search accordingly. Some people this seems to be working just fine for, and others not so much.

This appears to be exactly the behavior I am getting. If I say "navigate" and use an unambiguous name or address, navigator does a route to there. If I say "mexican restaurant" it googles for mexican restaurants and displays ones that are near where I am (is there any such thing as a town in the U.S that doesn't have a mexican restaurant?). If I say "call foo", if there's a "foo" in my contacts it dials them. If not, it opens the browser with a search for "foo".

I've no idea why some would see this behavior and some wouldn't. Glad I do though :D

I still love the phone overall, and I am sure whatever the issue is will be fixed.

utilityguy2

Reaction score
Shut phone off completely restart and will then work as suppose to. At least mine does.

uplate

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. Just had my Droid about three days now. The voice dialer app works fine for making calls. In Quick Search or the voice dialer in Car menu, it always brings up a web search. Frustrating.