Vivo XPlay 5 High End Flagship Includes Dual-Edge Curved Display, 6GB RAM & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vivo-xplay5-hands-on.jpeg
Photo Credit: Engadget

Yesterday, the Chinese smartphone OEM, Vivo, Announced their latest flagship devices. We have the XPlay 5 and the XPlay 5 Flagship Edition. The later really hits the high notes for top-of-the-line features. It actually uses the same dual-edge, curved display found in the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, but that's not all. The list of features ticks off a wide array of high performance numbers.

Here's a breakdown:
  • 5.43-inch Super AMOLED dual-edge curved display with QHD resolution (2,560 x 1,440)
  • Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 chipset
  • 6GB of LPDDR4 RAM
  • 128GB of internal storage
  • "HiFi 3.0" package - consists of two ES9028 SABRE Mobile DAC chips plus three OPA1612 amplifiers
  • Fingerprint reader on the back
  • 16-megapixel f/2.0 Sony IMX298-powered main camera with phase detection auto-focus plus dual-tone LED flash
  • 8-megapixel f/2.4 front-facing camera
  • 3,600mAh battery with rapid charging support
  • Android 5.1
There are a few dings against this device which mar an otherwise excellent execution. Besides the fact that it is running an older version of Android, the most notable complaints would be the lack of NFC and the lack of USB Type-C. Also, Vivo has their own overlay UI for Android 5.1 which does NOT include any special functionality for the curved edges of the display. This relegates the use of the dual-edge curved screen from Samsung to nothing but an aesthetic affectation.

The base model XPlay 5 has most of the same specs except instead it includes a Snapdragon 652, 4GB of RAM and a different combo of audio chipsets: (CS4398 plus AD45257). Here's a quote with a few pricing details on this device:

"While no date has been mentioned for the "Flagship Edition" just yet, the regular model is already up for pre-order. It's no Xiaomi; Vivo is charging 3,698 yuan or about $560 for the base model, but you can wait for a while to save up 4,288 yuan or about $650 for that beastly version. Both are available in gold and pink." ~ Engadget

pandeyji

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung
Is Vivo XPlay 5 available in India? My sister owns Vivo V3 and I just love her phone. In addition to looking stylish, the phone has amazing features. Now I am also planning to buy a Vivo phone and X5Play interests me a lot. Please help!