Virus

Mdade1

Reaction score
I am considering the droid and was looking at on in the verizon store and saw an anti virus app installed. The rep really could not answer my question. Does anyone know if the droid can get a virus?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
negative.
can it? i mean i guess.. but i have never heard of one..

anyone else?

huskur

Reaction score
can there be a virus? I would say "possible" but at this time there is no known virus on the android platform

diverbelow

Reaction score
I haven't, but from reading other posts; the anti-virus program was causing other valid apps not to function correctly or was the root cause of FC.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that the phone has been rooted, there is alittle more chance of a virus, but usually it only effects those with root access. So far there is no known viruses for the android platform. But just remember to be safe with what you install, if it has anything to do with banking, make sure it comes directly from a bank or is a well known app for doing such.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I haven't, but from reading other posts; the anti-virus program was causing other valid apps not to function correctly or was the root cause of FC.
Yes we had A LOT of members have issues with AV's running on their devices. slowed them to a crawl and used up battery at an excessive rate.

I highly suggest you DO NOT install an anti-virus they are very problematic on the Droid.

Also as everyone else has mentioned they are not needed.

Phoxus

Reaction score
Anything can have a virus. All OS can have them. However hackers tend to aim for mass populations (windows users). We aren't a blip on most hackers radars because we are no where close to the number of computers out there. Period

Sleeve

Reaction score
Most anti-virus apps for niche platforms are trying to leverage fear, uncertainty, and doubt based on events on more popular platforms. Anyone who walks into a VZW store and downloads an AV app from the market onto a demo unit is trying to cause FUD in potential Droid buyers. It's highly unlikely that anyone working at the store or VzW sanctioned installation of AV apps on their demo units. They don't need them, and they just drive FUD until the wise person comes here and has their uncertainty and doubt removed, then works out the fear on their own.

zerosignal0

Reaction score
The answer is yes, the droid can contract a virus (rooted or not). Now no one is aware of any being written / distributed as of yet but it could be possible. Just as it could be possible with ANY platform of phone or OS. The IPhone is capable of being infected as is BB and just about any other device out there. I wouldn't allow the concept of "viruses" weigh into a decision for a device though given what I said above. Just my $.02

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything is possible... but there are NO confirmed viruses on the Android platform.