Droid and Virus protection

ksaul

Reaction score
That was only one case. Also, your confusing virus's with malware/spyware, they are waaaaaay different. Either way though it goes back to being careful what you download. The case you bring up is a perfect example of" how in the world did people actually fall for that?!?". They saw a paid app for free and grabbed it without checking the dev. So no, antiviruses do NOT need to be built into future versions of android. The answer to the problem isn't making your phone buggy and drain the battery even more. The answer is to educate people and get them away from the windows mentality of "OMG I MUST HAVE AN ANTIVIRUS OR ALL MY STUFF IS GONNA GET STOLEN".

/endrant

Sent from my Liberated D2G

so you do not think google should stricken their developer-market research and approval process and continue to let any scriptkiddy upload into the market? WRONG

That is on you if you want any random developer to have access to your gmail/google/twitter/facebook/apps information. I use gmail for everyhing and if it got into the wrong hands the developer of such apps could ruin my credit, life, identity, EVERYTHING.

Mobile technologies are going to get hit hard this year with such problems and there needs to be a solution and not just leave it in the hands of the phone-users. Not all phone users understand how things work and its ignorant for you to assume so.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That was only one case. Also, your confusing virus's with malware/spyware, they are waaaaaay different. Either way though it goes back to being careful what you download. The case you bring up is a perfect example of" how in the world did people actually fall for that?!?". They saw a paid app for free and grabbed it without checking the dev. So no, antiviruses do NOT need to be built into future versions of android. The answer to the problem isn't making your phone buggy and drain the battery even more. The answer is to educate people and get them away from the windows mentality of "OMG I MUST HAVE AN ANTIVIRUS OR ALL MY STUFF IS GONNA GET STOLEN".

/endrant

so you do not think google should stricken their developer-market research and approval process and continue to let any scriptkiddy upload into the market? WRONG

That is on you if you want any random developer to have access to your gmail/google/twitter/facebook/apps information. I use gmail for everyhing and if it got into the wrong hands the developer of such apps could ruin my credit, life, identity, EVERYTHING.

Mobile technologies are going to get hit hard this year with such problems and there needs to be a solution and not just leave it in the hands of the phone-users. Not all phone users understand how things work and its ignorant for you to assume so.

That's the thing, with Linux YOU, the end user, choose what gets what permission so if something like that happens its on YOU. I know everyone doesn't understand how things work which is why I said that education is the answer, not more control from google.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If Google does what apple does, it costs money.. where does the money come from? The devs profit. Devs make less money per app, so either they become less inclined to develop apps, or they raise the price and the consumer pays for the difference.

If you don't trust yourself then go ahead and run fake antivirus if it actually makes you feel better... but chances are they won't even pick up a malicious app if you downloaded and installed a well made one. So being informed, and a little skeptical are your best prevention methods.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

valk_17

Reaction score
Nice one, wugfresh, I knew it wouldn't be anything to worry about but the 10 seconds of unresponsive black screen was almost enough to make me worry :)