Virus Protection

festoooor

Reaction score
Would anyone suggest getting virus protection? I downloaded an anti-virus app but it seemed to lag my droid really bad. Any thoughts?

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Lots of people have trouble with antivirus and poor performance. Not really needed.

I’ve been wondering about the same thing.

Is anti-virus not needed because of the Android OS, and like Macs, not as susceptible to attack as Microsoft junk?

It would be nice to know that I could go to my bank and all, without worrying about that stuff.

Thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The hasn't been a Android Virus, Malicious Apps yea but no viruses..

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lots of people have trouble with antivirus and poor performance. Not really needed.

I’ve been wondering about the same thing.

Is anti-virus not needed because of the Android OS, and like Macs, not as susceptible to attack as Microsoft junk?

It would be nice to know that I could go to my bank and all, without worrying about that stuff.

Thanks

No anti-virus needed for the Droid. Many report that if they do run an AV app, it causes all kinds of issues with other apps.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's been many threads on this already. In a nutshell you don't need virus protection.

DAVPX

Reaction score
Android is a Linux OS. Although there are viruses that exist that target Linux, they are very rare. It is unlikely that anyone would target a Linux OS these days, let alone a cell phone. Windows machines are simply easier and more popular to attack. Point being, it is possible for someone to code a virus for Android but the chances of being infected by it are slim to none.

Moohoo

Reaction score
May become victim of its own successful

I am concerned though, that crooks will start targeting Android OS when it gets to be popular.

stanrc

Reaction score
Look at how popular the iPhone is, and how many viruses are there that target it. One? If you count the worm that spread through jailbroken iphones. Its going to be a long time before people start targeting android phones. And even then a smart user is the best defense.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Exactly, save the majority of your explorative browsing for your home computer and don't download apps without a comfortable number of other people having downloaded and commented on it first.

dannydoes

Reaction score
The hasn't been a Android Virus, Malicious Apps yea but no viruses..
Sure, so what do you do about malicious apps then? I was surfing last night, clicked on a picture, next thing I knew the phone was downloading something, then the phone seemed to act on it's own. I yanked the battery and it's acting all fine now, but I'm concerned somebody could have access to passwords or be "listening" to my inputs. Any suggestions?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I was in the Verizon store and one of the employees was waiting for her replacement BB to arrive. ..what happened to the old one? A virus. Now, a BB isn't a Droid, but it still makes me tend to err on the side of caution. As more Droid phones come out thieves may well write malware for Droid. A free AV program was one of the first things I downloaded from the Market. I don't think it's lagging my Droid; going to test though using task killer.
I'd like to see an anti-malware app for Droid that has the option to run only on demand.