Virtual keyboard issues

buckweet

Reaction score
Has anyone had any 'lag' issues with the virtual keyboard?? It seems that I cannot type fast on it as it will miss keys that I'm pressing.. I know that I'm pressing as I can see it show up on the screen.

Sometimes it lags too when its searching for a dictionary word.. I'm coming from a blackberry bold which I can type relatively fast on to the droid which I have to slow way down to make sure it gets my key presses.. Very annoying, almost to the point that I want to return the phone. My girlfriend has an iphone and I can type as fast on it as my blackberry with no issues..

I've tried turning off all of the text correction services, etc.. it still misses my key presses.. Other folks at work are having the same issues..

Anyone?

BuckWeet

jettie1767

Reaction score
Yes, it's somewhat laggy. I have to slow my typing down for it to recognize all my taps. Hopefully gets fixed in an update soon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Haven't noticed much yet. couple times it hasn't read a letter, but that's no biggy.

OP
B

buckweet

Reaction score
I'm finding that its missing letters all the time.. hrm.. i don't believe it to be a hardware issue but much rather a software issue.. i've tried defaulting the phone with no avail..

rmcnamara

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the phone. The letter will show up above the butting, but the actual letter is not typed.

This is really the only thing that is annoying me about the phone. I do have to say that it would indeed make me return the phone. It is extremely annoying. Has anyone else had any luck with this problem.

Rob

azkabat

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I believe this is problem is due to the lack of multitouch implementation. On my iPod Touch I can type much faster mainly do to the fact that it can register the second touch as a distinct and separate input from the first touch. So if I'm typing C-A-T it's not a big deal if my thumb is slightly touching the "C" when I go and hit "A", "A" will register. The result experience on the Droid is something similar that to the BB Storm 1 where you had lift you finger off of the first letter so that the second letter would register. In my opinion the saving grace of the software keyboard is its dictionary/autocorrect feature.

I can type a lot faster on the droid now then when I first got it but it has nothing to do with the confidence I have in the keyboard and everything to do with the confidence I have in the autocorrect feature.

LordKastle

Reaction score
There's a program called Swype I believe and there was a video on the forum that showed people basically swiping over letters and it understanding what was going on. It was side by side the iPhone to show how the texting speed is actually faster.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr.../4839-swype-coming-droid.html?highlight=swype

Not exactly my cup of tea but for people who seem to be pressing another letter before, I guess it would be pretty good. Not like its out or anything yet so it won't help...but just food for thought.

And Droid has multitouch. It's just not implemented in the default browser.

Edit: One other thing... its interesting how so many people talk about iPhone's virtual board like it works so efficiently. Am I the only person who has received tons of messages abbreviated "2" not "to" and plenty of misspellings?

Last edited:

rmcnamara

Reaction score
I dont know if it is a multitouch thing or not. ill press the letter it pops up above the button, but does not register on what im typing in. To me this is really annoying

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I think whats happening is...

I think it does this to help with typo's. If you're a really fast texter you're prolly hitting the buttons much faster and lighter than your average joe. So to combat the virt keyboard being too sensitive and being a complete nightmare for typo's it won't recognize certain inputs if you didn't press the key long enough.

This is just a guess on my part because I have seen what you speak of.

azkabat

Reaction score
No Droid does not have multitouch...at least in stock form - it does not recognize more than one touch. If you want to prove this to yourself pull up Android's keyboard hold down one letter and try to hit another, you will find you continuously keep typing the first.

Droid however does support multitouch (there is just no implementation of it in stock form) which is good and gives me hope that Motorola/Google/Verizon will grow some cojones and just implement it - for their user's sake.

Like I said before the autocorrect/dictionary is the saving grace, in my opinion, of the virtual keyboard. It is the best implementation of this feature I have ever used on any phone.

rmcnamara

Reaction score
Is there anything I have to do to implement the auto correct feature on the droid.

azkabat

Reaction score
The autocorrect/suggestions/dictionary is turned on by default. If you want to make sure it's on go to settings -> language and keyboard.

srhee

Reaction score
i am experiencing issues with the auto correct feature... basically i don't WANT the software to correct everything I type, especially since I like to abbreviate a lot and type in "internet slang" (wut instead of what, tmrw instead of tomorrow, r instead of are, etc), but I like the word-suggest feature when i have to type long words

in settings, all keyboard options turned on except for the auto correct... worked for the time being until my screen went into standby and turned off.. logged back on and ever since then the auto correct suddenly came back by itself. in the settings, the auto correct option is still shown as being turned off

so it seems that the screen shutdown/auto-off feature somehow resets the keyboard settings to default, despite whatever option is selected on/off in the keyboard settings menu