Vids record with excess choppiness/pixelation

maladroid

Reaction score
I'm not sure what has happened to my video recording capabilities, but ever since leaving a stock setup, the videos I have captured with my Droid have been such poor quality as to the point of being essentially unwatchable.

I didn't notice this problem at first, because I would record videos in the moment, but not really care to watch them until later. Today I noticed that all my recordings dated after rooting my phone are riddled with errors. Five seconds of problem-free playback will be accompanied by 10 seconds of choppiness, extreme pixelation, huge artifacts, and non-responsiveness on the part of the phone.

I've tried recording at stock speeds as well as overclocked speeds, and the problem is persistent across all speeds. I loaded the videos onto my computer, which can play Blu Rays, and the video (even 11 second videos) still had the same problems on the PC, so I know it's not just the Droid's playback.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or has anyone else experienced this same problem? It seems to me like I'm the only one having this problem, because I've done several forum searches for "video recording", "recording quality" "video choppy" and the like and have found nothing, which is why I'm starting a thread.

I just ordered a Class 6 SD card from Newegg... The closest thing I can think of as a reasonable diagnosis is that perhaps the Droid is having a hard time keeping up the dump to the sd card while the video is recording? I'm not sure why I would be the only one having that problem, though, as most people are using Class 2 cards like myself. Also, doesn't seem right that I should have to buy a Class 6 card just to capture video smoothly, and there is the possibility after all that it might not even fix the issue.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Here are my current stats, although I reiterate that this problem persisted across the following ROMs: DroidMod 1.0, Bugless Beast 0.9, Cyanogen 5.0.4.2 - 5.0.5.7, Ultimate Droid 6 - 9.8:

Cyanogen 5.0.5.7 w/ NexTheme
Bekit 7-slot LV 800mhz set @ 800mhz

Thanks!

OP
M

maladroid

Reaction score
Check out this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...video-pixelation-audio-video-sync-issues.html
I was having the same problems on stock 2.0.1, and I thought it could be something with the sd card(as stated in some of my posts), but after I installed the official 2.1 update, the problem has gone away.

Haha, I was 99% sure the first reply to this thread would be pointing me in the right direction of a thread I was pretty sure existed but for some reason chose the exact wrong search words such that I wouldn't find it. Pixelation! How did i not try that?

Thanks JCo!

BzB

Reaction score
it has also been mentioned in the past that recording videos while your droid is overclocked may also cause problems. it's recommended to set your clock speed back to stock before recording videos to avoid pixelation and picture/audio sync errors.

OP
M

maladroid

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Class 6 SD card to arrive (should be here by Friday) before I try anything else. The HQ vid hack doesn't work, I didn't really see any other possible fixes that would work in that other thread. Besides, I always had a hinkling that the choppiness looked like the type that might be caused by poor data transfer, and I'm hoping maybe I just got a bad micro sd with my Droid, and perhaps so did everyone else experiencing this problem

JCo352

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Class 6 SD card to arrive (should be here by Friday) before I try anything else. The HQ vid hack doesn't work, I didn't really see any other possible fixes that would work in that other thread. Besides, I always had a hinkling that the choppiness looked like the type that might be caused by poor data transfer, and I'm hoping maybe I just got a bad micro sd with my Droid, and perhaps so did everyone else experiencing this problem

See that's what I thought, but I'm glad 2.1 fixed it for me. Have you tried a factory reset?

OP
M

maladroid

Reaction score
Hehe, that's one of those courses of action I'm saving for if class 6 doesn't solve the problem.

Duck141

Reaction score
Have you tried running "kill it all" before you shoot vids?

banderbe

Reaction score
I'd like to second the idea of running some sort of memory freeing app prior to shooting video.

I am having this problem, or I was.. now I am back at stock 2.1 (after running Cyanogen) so I am going to see if the problem comes back.. then I will start looking at memory freeing apps.

Another idea is to do a battery pull, and shoot video.. My guess is that video shot right after a cold reboot will be fine.. and the longer the droid runs (the longer apps have the chance to take up memory, the more often it will happen).

If you are familiar with how Android manages memory and kills tasks it makes sense.