Video Player for Motorola DROID

goodnluck2000

Reaction score
I have hour long Microsoft Technet Webcasts which can be only in WMV file downloads. Need to play them on my DROID during commute.

It seems WMV is not supported on the DROID.

First question:
Which video player (both free and paid) will allow me to convert to Droid format?

Second question:
What is the format to convert to for viewing on DROID at the same time not compromise from good quality on the WMV file?

Thanks in advance.

Josh Smith

Reaction score
Act 1 Video player works great for me. Trial is free with 120 seconds of continuous viewing to see if you like it and at 99 cents the full version is a steal!

Handbrake is great for conversion, set it to mp4

iraparks

Reaction score
Wish VLC would make a player for droid, the only player i use on my pc, no matter what the format or file type VLC player outputs it nicely...

cgarnes

Reaction score
Guys, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but right now, I am in the same boat as you all.

I need to convert a .avi to .mp4, but Handbrake isn't going to work for me. Mac OS X (Tiger 10.4) user here...

You might look at this fellow's advice. I'm trying it now (process is taking awhile).

How to convert avi to mp4 for iPhone with VLC | Pieter van Gils

I will post back to let you know if this worked well or not.

D

dvdcatalyst

For MAC users

Guys, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but right now, I am in the same boat as you all.

I need to convert a .avi to .mp4, but Handbrake isn't going to work for me. Mac OS X (Tiger 10.4) user here...

You might look at this fellow's advice. I'm trying it now (process is taking awhile).

If you installed the proper stuff to play the avi in Quicktime (divx, xvid etc) you can use Quicktime Pro to convert them to iPhone format, which will play on the Droid.
Also iMovie has an export function for the iPhone format whoch should work, but it depends on the version of iLife you have installed.

Perian

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

is an "all-in-one" codec bundle to enable support for a lot of video formats for Quicktime.

Last edited by a moderator:

cb2000a

Reaction score
I believe there is a post indicating that VLC is coming to the Droid soon. Was posted on these forums in the apps section I think.

tmak

Reaction score
Hi - new here & very new to Moto Droid (less than 2 wks). Just a quick thanks for all the great suggestions. Was very frustrated trying to convert video from phone to iMovie, but Handbrake got the job done & was SO easy. Thanks again! :)

HeroNova

Reaction score

If you installed the proper stuff to play the avi in Quicktime (divx, xvid etc) you can use Quicktime Pro to convert them to iPhone format, which will play on the Droid.
Also iMovie has an export function for the iPhone format whoch should work, but it depends on the version of iLife you have installed.

Perian

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

is an "all-in-one" codec bundle to enable support for a lot of video formats for Quicktime.

Are you sure iPhone format works on the Droid?

I have two movies that I wanted to move to my Droid when I sold my iPod Touch along with my songs. One was purchased through iTunes and the other was a digital copy that came with the blu-ray movie (Inglorious Basterds). Both movies worked on my iPod Touch and my friends iPhone but when I moved them to my Droid they wont play.

Edit: BTW I am also a Mac user (Snow Leopard)

D

dvdcatalyst

I have two movies that I wanted to move to my Droid when I sold my iPod Touch along with my songs. One was purchased through iTunes and the other was a digital copy that came with the blu-ray movie (Inglorious Basterds). Both movies worked on my iPod Touch and my friends iPhone but when I moved them to my Droid they wont play.

Yes, iPhone formatted movies work fine, however, Digital Copies and iTunes Purchased ones do not. These are protected with some form of DRM that needs both the computer and the device to be activated on an account for it to be able to play.
If you convert other videos with QUicktime Pro/iMovie/Final Cut Studio etc to iPhone format they will play just fine because those do not have this DRM.

HeroNova

Reaction score

Yes, iPhone formatted movies work fine, however, Digital Copies and iTunes Purchased ones do not. These are protected with some form of DRM that needs both the computer and the device to be activated on an account for it to be able to play.
If you convert other videos with QUicktime Pro/iMovie/Final Cut Studio etc to iPhone format they will play just fine because those do not have this DRM.

Thank you, I didn't realize they had a DRM. So is there anyway I would be able to play/convert the movies I already have?

D

dvdcatalyst

Thank you, I didn't realize they had a DRM. So is there anyway I would be able to play/convert the movies I already have?

I'm not sure about the mac. There is TuneByte Tunebite: Start (win only I think) which is what a few people mentioned. and there are others.

The only way that seems to work with these files is to use a form of recording software. It's like dubbing in the good old VHS days. There are a couple of programs out there that do it. Basically you play the file on an activated computer, and the program records the video and audio, and converts it to the selected format. Many are quite pricy, and quality is usually not the greatest, so try before you buy.