[Video] Flash on the Droid!

jboucheb

Reaction score
What is wrong with Verizon?? how come they are all over the map....? I thought they were anti-iphone.

Why would Verizon be anti iPhone? I think they would be for any phone that would make their company money. Considering how many people love them some iPhone it only makes business sense (even though I'm not a fan).

I'm thinking that based on the millions of dollars they just pumped out with all the anti-iPhone Droid commercials the past 6 months....that's all.

keiichi25

Reaction score
What is wrong with Verizon?? how come they are all over the map....? I thought they were anti-iphone.

Why would Verizon be anti iPhone? I think they would be for any phone that would make their company money. Considering how many people love them some iPhone it only makes business sense (even though I'm not a fan).

I'm thinking that based on the millions of dollars they just pumped out with all the anti-iPhone Droid commercials the past 6 months....that's all.

Actually, it has little to do with the Anti-iPhone Droid commercials... The Droid commercials were targeting people, such as myself, who wanted something similar to the iPhone, but simply did not like iPhone in general as well as the network, which was AT&T.

AT&T retaliated back by focusing on TWO key points... Focusing on "Popular phones" which iPhone is popular because a lot of normal users love what the iPhone provided, a phone that was a camera phone, a web browsing phone and more importantly for most people, a phone that plays music. The other key point they harped on was how fast their network is.

In all honesty, Verizon has made their point too, and some AT&T customers agree with the statement. Coverage has been a sticking point for AT&T users. Some were literally getting craptastic reception in certain areas, one I know, was literally stuck to 1 singular place in her apartment in the BAY AREA in order to receive calls, but down here in Santa Barbara, she got better reception... The problem was, why is Santa Barbara, while it is a rich person's tourist trap, where we don't have a HIGH POP density, gives BETTER reception for indoor use versus a Metro area like the Bay Area?

The other thing to note, Apple is sticking with their exclusivity with AT&T network for the US. There is no 'reach out' to T-Mobile, the only other GSM/EDGE based company working in the US, and both Verizon and Sprint are using CDMA2000/EVDO Networks. The Blackberries which support both networks are on both GSM/EDGE and CDMA2000/EVDO, the iPhone, however, is not and does not plan on supporting it nor will the iPad which is now Apple's new latest thing.

Apple has always touted itself as being 'the best' by simply limiting people's options. One of the reasons why they harp how they are the 'best computer' for people, but ignoring the fact that whenever they introduce a new machine or a new OS, they literally hamper their users to get new software for what they want to do. The PC has been the mainstay for a lot of companies due to backwards compatibility for the most part, but also how Microsoft assaulted the community at large, by providing them the tools to make things (Which also means it made hackers go ape-crazy on anything Microsoft based)

Depending on how the 4G network pans out... Things might change, assuming there is an almost universal 'sharing' of connectivity that bridges the difference between the 4 wireless companies, and then, it will boil down to who can make sure they can hold onto the exclusive deals and provide the better service.

maxohkc

Reaction score

Actually, it has little to do with the Anti-iPhone Droid commercials... The Droid commercials were targeting people, such as myself, who wanted something similar to the iPhone, but simply did not like iPhone in general as well as the network, which was AT&T.

AT&T retaliated back by focusing on TWO key points... Focusing on "Popular phones" which iPhone is popular because a lot of normal users love what the iPhone provided, a phone that was a camera phone, a web browsing phone and more importantly for most people, a phone that plays music. The other key point they harped on was how fast their network is.

In all honesty, Verizon has made their point too, and some AT&T customers agree with the statement. Coverage has been a sticking point for AT&T users. Some were literally getting craptastic reception in certain areas, one I know, was literally stuck to 1 singular place in her apartment in the BAY AREA in order to receive calls, but down here in Santa Barbara, she got better reception... The problem was, why is Santa Barbara, while it is a rich person's tourist trap, where we don't have a HIGH POP density, gives BETTER reception for indoor use versus a Metro area like the Bay Area?

The other thing to note, Apple is sticking with their exclusivity with AT&T network for the US. There is no 'reach out' to T-Mobile, the only other GSM/EDGE based company working in the US, and both Verizon and Sprint are using CDMA2000/EVDO Networks. The Blackberries which support both networks are on both GSM/EDGE and CDMA2000/EVDO, the iPhone, however, is not and does not plan on supporting it nor will the iPad which is now Apple's new latest thing.

Apple has always touted itself as being 'the best' by simply limiting people's options. One of the reasons why they harp how they are the 'best computer' for people, but ignoring the fact that whenever they introduce a new machine or a new OS, they literally hamper their users to get new software for what they want to do. The PC has been the mainstay for a lot of companies due to backwards compatibility for the most part, but also how Microsoft assaulted the community at large, by providing them the tools to make things (Which also means it made hackers go ape-crazy on anything Microsoft based)

Depending on how the 4G network pans out... Things might change, assuming there is an almost universal 'sharing' of connectivity that bridges the difference between the 4 wireless companies, and then, it will boil down to who can make sure they can hold onto the exclusive deals and provide the better service.

Haha wow what aparagraph well I'm just saying the verizon ceo has already confirmed the iphone for verizon... sorry. Just look it up. But ur not really wrong I think its just 4g but does it matter this is about flash not when the iphone is coming to verizon. Because its a fact that it is (according to verizon ceo)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Um...I went to a Verizon store here in Denver with a friend last week. He got a Droid there. I asked the store guy about iPhones coming to Verizon.

He said (emphatically) that there is NOTHING official from Verizon on this. That everything on the internet is basically rumors at this point, and they have no idea when Verizon will get an iPhone or even if it will at all.

jboucheb

Reaction score

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I was pretty sure I read something about the iphone supporting the CDMA2000 network in the very near future.

A new report citing sources in the Taiwan handset supply chain says Apple has contracted to produce a UMTS/CDMA hybrid iPhone due in the third quarter of next year that will enable the company to sell a single global handset to all carriers, and specifically to Verizon Wireless in the US.

The report by OTR Global, provided to AppleInsider by an industry analyst, says the new "worldmode" iPhone will gain compatibility with CDMA2000 networks (including Verizon's US network, which is currently incompatible with existing iPhone models) while retaining compatibility with UMTS 3G networks globally using a new hybrid chip produced by Qualcomm.

According to OTR's sources, Asustek subsidiary Pegatron will build the new hybrid phone devices for Apple rather than Hon Hai, the iPhone's current manufacturer. This decision was reportedly made to prevent the company from being "constrained by a single-source assembler."

AppleInsider | Report: Apple to launch Verizon iPhone in Q3 2010

keiichi25

Reaction score
Haha wow what aparagraph well I'm just saying the verizon ceo has already confirmed the iphone for verizon... sorry. Just look it up. But ur not really wrong I think its just 4g but does it matter this is about flash not when the iphone is coming to verizon. Because its a fact that it is (according to verizon ceo)

You might want to re-read what you read. Here is what I found from a Google search with 'Verizon iPhone'

Verizon iPhone - Google Search

Verizon CEO Says a Verizon iPhone Is Apple's Call - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

A Verizon iPhone is still dependant on whether or not Apple decides they want to go that way or not.

Apple's iPhone on Verizon: 4 Reasons to Think Twice - PCWorld

Of the 4 reasons listed...

1) Always rumored... Still is, nothing official. The fact that you cited the Verizon CEO said it is coming, but I just gave a link from very same CEO stating a Verizon iPhone is Apple's call, means that it isn't definitive until Apple says it is.

2) Technology, as I mentioned before, the 4G networks are basically what some groups are now holding out for. From last I saw, the 4G network that Verizon is looking for will lean a little more towards using GSM type technology versus its current ESN IDs, where the phone has a Fixed Serial number for activation, where as GSM allowed you to activate another phone simply by swapping your GSM sim card to another phone, its only limitation is the phone is either locked to your network or not locked at all.

3) When does the iPhone to AT&T exclusivity end? No one knows. Only that there is a contract between AT&T and Apple at this time, much like how the Razr was only with AT&T, then eventually it was for other groups unless you bought an unlocked on or hacked one and it would only work with networks that supported GSM at the time.

But all of this is beside the point for this thread, simply because it is up to Adobe to release a Flash Player/Viewer for the Mobile OS. And of recent, I heard that Apple has sort of dissed Adobe with their push for their version of web content animation, and therefore hasn't really encouraged Adobe to really get cracking on the flash for the i-Series OS, and more for others, like Android.