Adobe Kills Flash for the Milestone/Droid!

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I don't understand why VZW will lock you into a two year term on one specific phone. It would make more sense to me to lock you into the two year contract for service and let you buy any phone you want when you want it. Of course the phones would have to have reasonable pricing not the $600 inflated prices out there now. They would make money on the sale of phones, keep people happier and could provide the best service out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Parawood

What do I think? Personally I have the Moto Droid 1 and I do NOT plan on paying for an upgrade for a while. I am very happy with this phone and only see the need for a new one when something amazing comes out (maybe a dual core, front facing camera, hdmi out, qwerty keyboard, 4g if thats coming).

Basically I am rooted and running froyo with flash built in. I do have to say to those who are not rooted and bummed about possibly not getting flash... who cares. Flash isn't that cool. I have only used it a few times to watch south park or the daily show, and even over a good wifi connection its choppy at best. It might be nice for little cheesy flash games or a few flash websites, but your really not missing much. I have not used flash in the past probably 3 weeks so you won't be missing much.

The option is nice, but it's no big deal...

I have to agree with you... overall, I am happy with the Droid 1, when I bought it I realized it was the first version and allot would change quickly. While I am not rooted, I have had fun tinkering with manual updates, apps etc. The whole flash thing is a bit disappointing but what the heck. I have another year left on my current contract and can live with the phone for the duration and then see what is out there. By then, well see how things shake out with emerging technologies and stuff like Google TV,what happens with some of the carriers and competitive smart phone offerings. Don't think what you get with the Droid X or II justifies me going out and dropping a couple hundred $$ to upgrade. You know everyone in the food chain is going to want their pound of flesh and there will be some weird dynamics over the next year as everyone positions themselves, so might as well sit back and enjoy it. Sure next year when I upgrade I'll wish I would have waited a couple more months for the next great thing on the market ;-) I will say that I am pretty committed to the Android OS and where they are heading. This sight is a great example of the high expectations folks have for Android OS, so hack onward, pushing the envelope will only help drive the technology! Hope Google balances the quality of what they are delivering with the time to market on their offerings. Just the Dawg's 2-cents!

'scuse me for being a bit unclear. I have a year left on my service contract (which is the unlimited data plan). I can buy a phone anytime... matter of fact, can get a newer Droid for $199, just don't think they have $199 worth of new value IMHO

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
"'scuse me for being a bit unclear. I have a year left on my service contract (which is the unlimited data plan). I can buy a phone anytime... matter of fact, can get a newer Droid for $199, just don't think they have $199 worth of new value IMHO"

I'm with you on that, the numbers look ok on paper but my rooted droid gives me virtually everything they offer on paper with these new droids without the additional price tag. VZW reps have spoken to me on the phone and tried talking me into a upgrade, but have failed.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I don't understand. I have not tweaked my Droid and I was able to download and run Flash after the last update. Article makes it sound like I wasn't supposed to get it...
Agreed, I have an original Droid and I have never rooted and I got the updates and currently have flash 10.1 installed and it works beautifully.

Riley

Reaction score
I don't understand. I have not tweaked my Droid and I was able to download and run Flash after the last update. Article makes it sound like I wasn't supposed to get it...
Agreed, I have an original Droid and I have never rooted and I got the updates and currently have flash 10.1 installed and it works beautifully.

+1 I was watching some flash vids this AM on my stock Droid 1 and it's fine. dancedroid

SkullOne

Reaction score

+1 I was watching some flash vids this AM on my stock Droid 1 and it's fine. dancedroid

Been using Flash 10.1 since 2.2 was first leaked for Droid. Never had an issue with it. Just updated to the final and loving it. Suck it Adobe. :p

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Suck it Adobe. :p

So ironic... before this piece of news came out, that would've read "suck it, Apple"... now it's directed back at the maker of this piece of software that's created so much hoopla! :)

RemyL75

Reaction score
I don't understand why VZW will lock you into a two year term on one specific phone. It would make more sense to me to lock you into the two year contract for service and let you buy any phone you want when you want it. Of course the phones would have to have reasonable pricing not the $600 inflated prices out there now. They would make money on the sale of phones, keep people happier and could provide the best service out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Parawood

Actually, VZW doesn't set the prices for the phones. You can buy the phones straight from the Manufacturer, and they will cost the same (if not more) as getting them from VZW off-contract (unless you know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that has a shop that sells them cheap). And once you get that phone, you can switch out your existing phone for the new one without really any problems. No carrier "locks" you into a phone choice. They just make it hard for you to take that phone to another carrier (new laws actually stop them from doing that now).

Now if off-contract phone prices ever come down (see: snowmobiles in hell), then you will see a lot more happy customers. Until then, our $600 phones will continue to be used as bait to get us to go and get service (see: blood oath) at a particular company, with the phone being at a steep discount, of course.

Polymira

Reaction score
Not true, Verizon bumps up pricing of the phones. Compare to sprint or tmobile for off contract phones....

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
No. Attorneys don't like to waste time.

I wonder if some lawyer out there might want to try and make some money from a class action lawsuit on some inane grounds. I know living on the edge of technology is a dangerous thing, but man I just got this stupid phone in March... and it was EOL'ed by August 6th! That sort of thing shouldn't happen until a YEAR after the last one is sold... imho, of which I only have a few :)

dwoid

Reaction score
Very insightful.

This feels like watching the most recent police chase live on Fox News. When it's over, there's the obvious winner and equally-obvious looser, and you just can't wait for the next live catastrophe to watch.

Judging from the numbers here and the plethora of pay-by-click advertisements, someone just made a bundle in this thread.

I'd encourage everyone to take a moment to read the actual German website, passed through => Google Translate <=

Also, take a look at Adobe's own Flash support page:
=> Adobe Flash Player 10.1 device support <=

Tempest in a teapot...

The real problem here is that the OP has returned to his sensationalist / Enquirer magazine, style of thread posting and titling ways :)

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

I wonder if some lawyer out there might want to try and make some money from a class action lawsuit on some inane grounds. I know living on the edge of technology is a dangerous thing, but man I just got this stupid phone in March... and it was EOL'ed by August 6th! That sort of thing shouldn't happen until a YEAR after the last one is sold... imho, of which I only have a few :)

Really? Ever heard of Roger Clemens? Seems like a fairly good waste of time to me.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

Really? Ever heard of Roger Clemens? Seems like a fairly good waste of time to me.

Apologies, that comment is supposed to be funny... sorry if it fell a tad flat.